Nursing Rat Question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldsGal

Ok so you would think after 4 litters in a row I would know that answer to this but I guess I never really paid close attention combined with the fact that I work during the day so I am not home to really tell. How many times a day do you think a newborn rat needs to nurse? How long? Then tappering off as they get older obviously.

Staci

when you are raising an orphan you are to feed every 2 hours in the beginning so I would imagine some of that time when mom is "feeding" them, the babies have fallen asleep with full tums at the "trough" LOL

Nope no problems with me personally. Just helping out a friend. Thanks for the quick replies. I was thinking the same thing as Shelagh but wasn't sure.

Thanks Jo...

Well this has just escalated. Again I am just helping out someone who has 2-3 day old babies at home. The momma rat has stopped lactating. Now what? Is there some way to get momma lactating again? She put the momma rat in a critter keeper which forced the momma to sit on top of the babies. She had them in there for well over an hour and witnessed the babies latched on but the babies do not have milk bands at all. Speculation is that the momma isn't lactating.

I am at a loss. I am not sure what to do now. This isn't a local person otherwise I would offer up Maisey to help even though she is exhausted too.

Staci

Ya that is what we have been discussing doing. But it is night of course when she discovers this. We have to get these bubs through the night and then in the morning she is going to call around to find a surrogate mommy.

Back