Not sure how to handle this...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shade

[youtube:2a45bxv1]Hw862ATY1pE[/youtube:2a45bxv1]

The video explains everything. My double rex boy is going downhill behavior wise. And he's really not very social. Whenever you touch him he squeaks and when you try to grab him he flips out. Last night he tried to bite me but it was only a little scratch.

And when it comes to the other boys in the cage, he acts like he's afraid of them (mainly our biggest boy quasar). He'll go and jump on them, like literally jump on top of them and spaz out and as soon as they move, he'll squeel and book out of there. Ben and batty don't mind but quasar has actually went after him for it and now bullies him by trying to intimidate him all the time.

I don't know how to make him calm down and just relax. I've never had a rat that acted this afraid before. My boyfriend thinks he's crazy and has some sort of mental problem linked to the fact that his eyes are red and he can't really see.

How long have you had him? How old is he?
Has he always been like this?
How long has he lived with the other boys?
What intro process did you use?

What have you done to socialize him/ help him be less afraid?

When you pick up a rat, use two hands - one supporting the upper body, one supporting the back legs and butt ... like you would pick up a kitten.

We've had him since march and he's gonna be about 5 months on the 2nd

When we first got him, he was a little shy, but overall he was pretty good and we could hold him and take him out without any worries about him freaking out or getting scared

He's lived with the boys for about 3 months and the intro process I used was pretty direct because I trusted my boys with babies (he was really little at the time). I have a video of the intro too and everything went great with that and there were no problems for about a month until he started pushing his boundaries with the other boys and that's when quasar started trying to intimidate him all the time and that's when he started to act really afraid of everyone.

when I first got him I used the pouch until he was too big for it and he used to always fall asleep in it and he was really comfortable with me. I actually have this other vid somewhere where he wants to be on me so bad and kept climbing out of the cage onto me and now it's like he's terrified of me. I pick him up every day and will just sit with him and pet him softly until he calms down but It doesn't seem to work.

EDIT: Normally when I Pick them up I do use two hands. I was just trying to hold the camera phone in one hand and pick him up with the other so it was a bit difficult.

The intro
[youtube:2vxzjoyk]vVUJWYWhpZ4[/youtube:2vxzjoyk]

The last video before he started acting really afraid
[youtube:2vxzjoyk]25I2NceaaAA[/youtube:2vxzjoyk]

I've noticed they do become "afraid" around that age. Can you have one on one out times with him? They usually grow out of it.

I too have noticed some rats go through a "scared" at that age. But still, I'd recommend more one on one socializing.
Don't worry though, there's no such thing as mental issues due to red eyes.
Another thing to consider if you can afford it, a neuter might help.
He looks very stressed out... How big is the cage? and how many rats live with him?

I'll be sure to do some more one on one bonding with him. about an hour after I posted this, I went to visit with him and he was fine, he climbed up on me and was letting me touch and hold him with no problem. I guess he just has his moments.

The cage is the Super pet exotic cage with the 3 levels and including him, there are 4 in there. Hopefully he'll calm down with time.

I have a young scaredy rat as well. The one on one time really does help!
I only have two rats and the scaredy one is a pew while my other one is a hoodie and is very outgoing.
So you just have to make sure that this rat gets extra attention and im sure that he'll learn that everythings okay and that he shouldn't be scared all the time.

Good Luck!

Back