not good... steady suddenly dead!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarunia

okay, everyone, i know that i'm here with a lot of questions, butttt i'm new to owning rats, so i really appreciate all of your help!
okay. where to begin?
so two weeks ago i lived off and on between my parent's house and my flat about an hour away. i went by after work to check on my three boys everyday and even took off early to make sure that they got plenty of out time, as i knew that the following week i would be away on vacation and would not be able to see them. i had my friend stop by as often as she could (every other day if not more) to check up on them, let them out for a bit and make sure they had food, water and allow them to pea fish for a bit... she called me during the beginning of the week to say that both slava and sasha were doing well, but steady didn't seem to want to come out of his cage. steady was the last guy i got; he was an agouti, always very skiddish and loved hiding, but he didn't seem to mind the other two, in fact when i woke up in the morning i would find them all in a little lump of rattie love in the corner of the cage. i didn't think anything was wrong. he looked healthy and i assumed that his character was just going to be skiddish. today, the day that i got back to my place after vacation, i received a frantic call from my friend informing me that steady had died. she said that the cage had smelled really bad this morning (but she had never told me this earlier, and i made sure to leave plenty of fleece for her to clean it if need be) and that slava and sasha seemed to be doing well. she put them in my spare cage with some pease and water until i got there. when i arrived the boy seemed to be pretty calm. she had already asked someone that lives down the hall from me to get rid of the body (as she said that it had made her quite sick, and rightfully so). she told me that his tail had two spots on them, like scabs and that he had just died... over night. do any of you know what might have caused this??? he didn't seem sick before i had left....... my two other boys seem to be doing well. they've lost a bit of weight and seem a little more down than normal, but are still running and playing. should i be quaranteening them from eachother? i'm worried about putting them back in their old cage, so am keeping them in the one that i super cleaned out even though i also cleaned out the one that steady died in..........
should i take them to the vet? i have slava on two drops of echinacea and sasha on one drop a day, as i think that slava's breathing has been a bit off lately. they also got a nice (well, not for them) bath today.
help pleaseeee. i feel like i'm losing it, i want to make sure my other boys aren't going to get reallly sick. i don't think i could stand losing another :'(

Sometimes rats die and we just don't know why. But if you really scrubbed the cage good, then it should be ok for the other two to go back to their normal cage. If the other two are acting just fine, then I wouldn't worry about them.
But if slava's breathing is a concern, don't wait too long and bring him to a vet.

do you think i should be concerned about the scabs? i noticed that slva had a tiny one on his tail, but it just looks like he rubbed up against something, nothing nearly as badly as my friend had explained was on steady's tail.
i'm calling the exotic vet tomorrow to triple check on the other two. my scholarship won't come thru till september, but i'm hoping that they may have some financing options until i get paid on the 15th!!!
thanks guys :cuddle:

The wounds your friend described may have been done by the other two after Steady had passed. Rats are prey animals, and when a body is in their home, they can and will try to dispose of the body in the only way they know how. They do this to prevent predators from finding the body, and from there the healthy ones. Depending on when Steady passed, it may have been long enough that the other two became concerned and dealt with the problem.

As Jorats said, sometimes rats just die. Again, they are prey animals and will hide their symptoms until it's almost too late. By the time most owners notice a problem, it's been going on for a while. There's absolutely no need to separate the boys from each other. Even if they did have anything, they'd have already given it to each other. Taking them into the vet to be checked over wouldn't be a bad idea.

ooh, that sucks hard, its true, some rats do just die, but, slavas breathing could be a infection, make they get a visit to the vet, just incase. :cuddle:

I'm so sorry that happened to you, especially when you weren't there. It's always awful to have a pet die and not be there for them.

Like others have said, sometimes they just die. Can I ask how old he was?

I had two rats die on me very suddenly before, and its horrible, though a long sickness is just as hard, with tha tyou have a chance for them to get better at least.

My very first rat, Matilda was in PERFECT health her whole life. When she was only about 1.5 years old, I was having a nap, and woke up to her making a distressed noise, and she almost never made noise. I ran over, and she was almost limp. I held her,a dn felt her heart beat get slower, and she died within about 10 mins.

I hope your guys death was quick and he didn;t suffer at all, and that you feel better. Give your remaining little guys lots of love.

I am SO sorry for your loss and to lose him while on vacation. :sad3: No one knows why they leave us so suddenly and that's the worst part. Remember how much he loved you and what a good life you gave him. :cuddle:

steady wasn't at all old... maybe two months?? luckily i hadn't had him that long, but i was just getting to know him...
my other boys seem to be doing very, very well... now i'm paranoid about every little thing though--discoloration on the ears, a little scab, one of them acting a bit too tired--but they're gettin' all my love, even when they're bad!!
thank you guys :hugs:

Back