Normal?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omigod. . .

I'm so sorry. . .
:hugs: :sad3: :hugs: :sad3: :hugs: :rant: :sad3: :hugs: :sad3: :hugs: :sad3: :redhot: :sad3: :hugs: :sad3:

ChevalRose - I'm so very very sorry for your loss of your Gus.

I was going to ask here with benefit of the video if a heart problem could cause that or not? And found your babe was gone. It won't help your boy now and seems wrong to ask now, but maybe it can help someone and their kid in future?
So forgive me, do you mind if I ask here if we can see differences between heart problems & respiratory problems by the video?

Your Gus was well-loved by you here and has gone on to await you in a place where nobody has to go to work and no cages need cleaning. No doubt he'll leave his adventures to welcome you one day as you did him here. I'm so sorry.

Back when we started to have postmortems done on our rats, they were dying exactly in that way as in the video. All posts revealed pulmonary abscesses, so huge there was barely any lung left. Hearts look healthy and normal. But that's not to say that it can't happen, it just never did with ours.

Boy, I got that terminology wrong! Still, I have trouble knowing what is indicative of heart problems and what is just respiratory problems in the kids. I'm hoping to learn clues to tell the difference.

So very very sorry for your loss ...

We are seeing both ... rats with hugely enlarged hearts and badly damanged lungs so it is difficult to say which occurred first ... we try to treat both.
If rats with respir problems to not get better with various combos of respir. meds, then we try heart meds. So far all rats in those circumstances have responded to heart meds. If they respond to heart meds, then we try to treat both heart and lungs.

But no, you can't tell just from the breathing if it is the heart or the lungs that is the main problem.

Back