Noisy Rat - pet store not mine

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

But I was in our local pet store that I HATE. Well Wayne and his sister went in there and saw a rat they really liked, but didn't talk to anyone. Wayne actually did want to get it but of course we had to check the sex first. It ended up being male so we didn't take it. But anyways while I held him in my arms he was making this little eepsing noise. I couldn't tell if it was his lungs or the fact that he was possibly scared. I noted that their rats don't seem socialized at all.

It was like a little barkingish noise, sorry I can't describe it better. It's not a noise I have ever heard before.

Any opinions.

Did it have a sort of rough, raspy end to it? Sort of like a dog that's barked too long, and it's really hoarse and rough sounding? Bad descriptions abound, hehe.

It could be either one, In my experience. My Tully Monster was petrified when you tried to pick her up, and she'd make these rough sounding, high pitched noises. Right before she screamed bloody murder and freaked right out.

Right before she passed, she also had an awful resp infection. Every exhale had a sort of grunting noise at the tail end of it, and sounded raspy on the inhale. As it got progressively worse in a few hours, it sounded like something between a grunt and a bark.

If they all seemed that unsocialized, I'd probably bet he was more afraid than anything. You could try going back there [or sending someone else] to check on him in a few days and see if it's better or worse.

Back