No Spay For Abby/Where To Place Her/What If There's Babies?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

Talked to the vet finally, and she said she didn't feel comfortable doing a spay on a rat who was pregnant... Not from a moral standpoint, but because she hadn't done one like that before, and she didn't want to risk it.

So that means, using the last day that Martin and Abby were together, I'm on baby watch until mid February.

I also asked the pet store lady WHEN Abby had her litter... She said at least three weeks ago. So either she'll balloon within the next week with a postpartum pregnancy, or not. Doesn't mean she won't still, but at least we'll know it wasn't postpartum.

And if by February... I want to say 13th, if there are no babies, for a spay she goes.

Maybe a neuter for Martin. I don't know... from a hormonal standpoint, he doesn't need it. He's a complete subby and a very calm, gentle boy. I don't want to have a million cages... But I do want everyone to be happy! If I can get Karly (the rat) to stop being a drama queen, Abby could live with the girls. But, if Abby is spayed, she can live with the boys, and I know they'll accept her easily.

Then with that, there is still my cage problem. She can't go in the freezer cage. There are no ramps... They all use the door to get from one level to another. I'm not so sure she could manage it. However, if I get the CN, the boys can move into it with her, and then the girls can have the freezer cage. That would be an easy fix that'll cost me about... 400 dollars, spay and cage included there.

THEN there is the matter of babies. Since there is no spay, there is a HIGH probability of babies. What if they go the same way the last ones went, and she eats them? Or what if she doesn't, and there's like... Let's say, ten babies. What in the world am I going to do with ten babies? Janie had babies, and over half of them went to Phyllis! Not that I am complaining about THAT, but I can't just say "Hey Phyllis, come take some babies" and there goes half the litter again, now can I? Gahhhhhhhhhh this'd be so much better if the vet would just SPAY her.

Oh did I mention I went and talked to the petstore lady as much as it sucked sooooo HARD, and I asked about Abby's ears, how they are cut, and she was like "I don't know what you are talking about" and I explained, and she got REALLY offended, like I suggested that SHE did it... I wouldn't doubt it, but, I didn't imply that, not even in the least... And I was like no, they're healed, and she was like "Well the nakeds get scratched and stuff" and I was like NO, like CUTS, like there is a part of each ear MISSING. And she still didn't get it. GAH. My coworker who was with me was like "Did you SEE her ears?" Like... even she sees it, and she knows NOTHING about rats. Dumb lady!!!

No takers?

Well that's okay because I came up with a shoddy temporary solution by myself. I placed Iris and Harlow back in with their original cage mates, and put in the new girl John brought (a bitty baby) in with Abby. That way my five girls aren't apart any longer, and Abby has someone to keep her company. Hopefully being around a rat that isn't "normal" doesn't taint how she reacts to rats who aren't blind when she eventually get's intro'd with my girls.

Thinking about just neutering Martin and having him live with those two girls. Three cages, but whatever.

Is Abby notched? or had a piece of her ear cut out for identification?

Sorry for not responding, it actually seems like you just need a place to vent, rather than asking questions.

Sucks about the e-spay. Btw very very rare that momma's "eat" (dispose of dead pups) their litters so if she's preggy that shouldn't happen.

Oh no, I wasn't like pissy or anything, I was just saying, LOL!! I was like "No one else knows either!"

It's not a piece of ear cut out, it's like someone snipped the tips. I'll try and get a good picture; maybe someone has seen something like it before.

I know it's pretty rare, which is why I think it was just stress (Martin was left with her, the pine, the tank, the environment...) But maybe being blind has something to do with it. Now, I've seen her react to strange rats, and she does kind of wig a bit, but once she realizes that it's a rat, she is all over them, grooming and cuddling. I'm not sure how she would react to babies, but you'd think, she'd realize they were her babies right? Of course she would... It's even worse, though, because she's double rex... Even her whiskers aren't up to par. And I think there is something wrong with her hearing as well... You can make all the loud noises you want, she won't wake up, she won't look at you when she's in the cage, nothing. So she's got her sense of smell, just about.

I guess I really need to be asking if anyone's had a blind rat that has successfully raised a litter.

I'm super really hoping she's just not pregnant.

I can't either, really. It's the other things on top of it that make me nervous. :/

Meanwhile, she's doing well with her new baby pal. A lot of change for the poor girl, but she's loving this baby... She doesn't move from her side! Such a sweet girl.

My vet would never do an e-spay either. I don't agree with her for that but to each their own.

How's Abby now? Is she pregnant... sorry, I'm having a hard time keeping ratties straight. lol

This is the only vet that I trust with rats... And she's at the University, so there is really no one else. :/

I'm not sure if she is, but it's a really high probability she is. She's been in with a male (Martin) for a very long time, and already had one litter with him.

Well, she had her last litter about three weeks ago. So if it was postpartum, she'd show soon.

But the last day she was with him was ... Monday? Damn I had this all written down on a calander at work. I believe something towards the 11th of February would be the last possible day if she got pregnant the day I got her.

Oh, there's still a chance she's not though. My Prue was with her Oliver with a 2 week old litter and they never reproduced.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm really hoping she isn't. No room for more! LOL

It's nice to hear of cases where rats DIDN'T get pregnant... It makes me feel better, because mostly you hear of the ones where they do. >.<

Fingers crossed Cait. In the worse case scenario, are there some really good rescues that could help you rehome her babies?

I'm not aware of any rescues around here; closest thing would be Staci, and she's already got her hands full. If it comes down to there actually being babies, it'd be up to me to rehome them. I remember how crappy it was with Janie's babies; I got lucky because Phyllis took literally half the litter home, and I had a friend who took two boys. Then I kept a girl and two boys for myself. Not sure we can do a repeat for Abby's bubs; more than likely I'd have to keep them all. Not enough rat lovers here, unfortunately. :(

Cait no worries about me. I am just fine. If you need my help I am more than happy to. I am used to having somewhere in the 30 to 40 numbers and now I am down to 11 in rescue and only 3 personal rats. And two of the rescues are already spoken for just waiting their new owners to pick them up.

I'm here if you decided you want help. Just e mail or PM me or catch me on MSN

Staci

Back