No No No No, Not Again!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinkwr

I dealt with my first PT starting in October and going until December, with Eve.

Lilith had a tumor removal on Monday of last week. Which I learned can bring out a PT or other problems if they exist. Well she is about 2 / going on 2yrs and just like her sister - is now showing signs. She doesn't have great balance... she isn't sure how to eat food off and on because her hands will fist up. She is doing the head bump... :sad3:

I still had her sisters medication so I started her on it tonight. Though I am hoping with her appointment Thursday (to take stitches out) that we can discuss other options I have really studied and would like to do.

I am hoping we can get it started asap as the signs aren't *huge* yet.

:wallbang:

I'm so sorry, surgery can sometimes bring it on and speed it up. I believe it's the anesthetic, my vet believes the same.
I'm pretty sure bromocriptine is available in the US.

What is the medication you put her on, pred?

I agree with Jo. Can you discuss bromocriptine with your vet? I am so sorry Robin!

Geez, I am so sorry to hear this because PT is so unpredictable and we never know how long we can control it. However, getting her onto meds ASAP is the only thing you can do. Is she currently on something like prednisone or dex? It doesn't hurt to try the bromocriptine, given many PT's fall under the prolactinoma umbrella and it seems from one study I found that increased doses of it can also help with other forms of PT's (but you'd have to discuss this with your vet regarding how/when).

It must be genetic if the sister is also experiencing this. I have to wonder what it is about anesthetic that sets something off with PT; whether it affects hormone levels, other brain chemistry, etc.. I'd never had any idea about this until reading it here recently, but now it makes sense to me why some past rats who'd had surgeris developed neural issues down the road.

I hope your vet will work with you and that you can control/shrink the tumor and have many more months of quality time with your sweetie. All you can do is your best. :hugs:

Yeah... Her sister got it at a young age and when we began treatment she lived for another 2 months. She passed away December 31st from PT. Must be genetic.

Lilith went in and again my vet is so unsure about these medications being in America. Which is so strange! She says all she has studied up on it it is being used in the UK and Canada. I told her people here in the USA are using it and she asked if I would like to - I said of course!

She told me she is going to get a hold of their pharmacy and see if they can order either kind in. The Bromocriptine or the one that starts with a C... I can't think of it right now. I figured if they come back not able to order it in I will be going around to different vets ans asking if they can. Or asking my vet if I can buy it off line and she will dose it for me (found a place online selling it).

While we wait for the vet to contact me back (hopefully by tomorrow) I have kept her on her sisters medication and the vet was fine with that. It is just an anti-inflammatory to keep brain swelling / tumor swelling down.

If we have to wait any longer than past this weekend I will be doing a Dex shot and Pred.

So if your vet is able to get it (or you are online) does she know how to dose and such? When I told my vet about bromo I had her contact Dr. Munn which helped her out by sharing his dosing information and such I believe.

Robinkwr said:
She told me she is going to get a hold of their pharmacy and see if they can order either kind in. The Bromocriptine or the one that starts with a C... I can't think of it right now. I figured if they come back not able to order it in I will be going around to different vets ans asking if they can. Or asking my vet if I can buy it off line and she will dose it for me (found a place online selling it).
Cabergoline?

Back