"No Mom, I don't wanna be held no more!" and other oddities

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenshae

Rats are nuts.

So a couple months ago I'd posted asking for advice on intros with Einstein, who is a hormonal whirlwind and a complete whiner. I did manage to get him successfully integrated with the boys, although he still has the unnerving tendency of humping them whenever he gets too excited during out-time. >.<

Ever since Einstein's arrival, I've noticed Basil and Splinter acting very skittish. Basil has never particularly enjoyed being held (he's always been very much a "I'll come sniff you on my own terms then scamper off" kind of guy ever since he was a baby) but he's to the point now where he squeals every time I grab hold of him and runs away. Splinter too is being very stand-offish and freaks out whenever I try to get him out of his cage. They both calm down a bit once I get them out of the cage, but for the most part they seem like they're both quite tense and don't want the attention.

What's their deal? I think Einstein caused a big power dynamic shift and they're all still working out the Alpha spot (Basil hasn't quite stepped down but also hasn't quite asserted himself definitively), so are they just up-tight because they're being super hormonal? And if that's the case, am I going to have to neuter everybody to get them to calm down, or can just one neuter solve the problem? I miss my big squishy Basil-butt and he's not very good for cuddles if every time I try to get him out of the cage he screams and runs off.

Two of my boys, Teddy & Bruno are the same way. I think it might be hormones, as these two are not neutered.

How long have they been like this? They are all living together now? Sometimes it can take a few months for the rats do sort out who's boss and accept it.

Back