nippy girls

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderrodent

Can anyone help me with my 4 nippy foster girls?
They came to us as two pairs from 2 different sources (two are about 1 year, the other two seem to be around 6 months) but we were able to intro them successfully, so they live together now. It's obvious that they haven't been handled at all before. All 4 are very nippy and shy. I only handle them with gloves and I can't really pick them up (or I don't try it because I don't enjoy getting bit). When I sit down, they eventually come up to me and jump into my lap and look for treats (more like "demand". They are very hyper!). Did I make the mistake by giving them treats right from the beginning (I was hoping that would make them less shy)? It seems like they just see me as their "food giver" and all they want are treats now and go after my hands (I tried not giving them treats and just pet them but that doesn't seem to work, either). When I try to pet them, they follow my hands and nip. They also nip my toes, legs, etc. (I wear long pants, socks, and slippers). Did I also give them too much "freedom" in the beginning by letting them run around all day in the sunroom (cage door is closed only at night). When I come in of course they have lots of places to hide. How can I change their behavior?? Work with them individually in the bathroom, maybe? I am getting really frustrated :(
Thanks!!

Actually, I just started the squeaking method (I had totally forgotten about it!). So every time they bite me (still with gloves on for now), I squeak. It's funny, they either run away and come right back or they get startled and I can see the huge question mark over their head. They are already more relaxed around my hands and I managed to pet 3 of them without them following my hand all the time.

When they nip you, do they actually bite down hard? I've got 3 blond boys who always nip me. But they don't do it so much anymore because of the squeaking back at them and because I force my fingers in their face all the time. I also offer a treat when I see they don't nip down.

Jo, I just tried without gloves and it's more of a nipping. They realize that I don't have anything edable in my hand so now they nip a little or just smell. I think they are slowly getting the hang of it. I also try keeping my hands close to them so they'll get used to them.

I have two gils tht do that. One does it just because she will get my rm, feet he'd anything she can nip some it seems like attention seeking rather that anything else.

Glad they are figuring it out Astrid...the gloves might have made it worse...because you weren't training them not to bite your "hands" they might not have made the connection, but now that the gloves are off, you can eep and eep and it will sink in eventually. Some girls just nip but it should get better and better over time.

As for cheeky nippers like Joanne's? Ohhh they are trouble! They laugh at you for sure...take a hard nip then run and laugh at you from a distance...they love making us shriek or jump, so be thankful your fosters aren't one of those. :laugh4:

If the issue (as it seems to be) overenthusiastic attempts at getting potential treats you can always feed them treats with a spoon to teach them to take a lot before grabbing things. The spoon won't hurt them but if they bite down on it it won't be edible or yield. But if they're not biting you (as in god awful the teeth sink in your flesh like it's butter bites) it will likely sort itself out.

If they were from bad circumstances where food was scared or they were not handled or socialized it's possible that they just never learned to grab things gently.

Back