Nightmares

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahr555

Is it possible for rats to have nightmares? I'm thinking so because my rat Donatello just freaked out last night right as he was sleeping then woke up and started running around the cage as if he was running away from something.

I don't see why not. Rat brains are more similar to ours than some might think. They certainly have REM sleep, which would indicate that they have dreams of some sort also. Although their dreams wouldn't be much like ours, as sight is not as important a sense to them.

After further discussion in chat, I'm fairly certain this was a seizure. A "freak out" that lasts minutes, not seconds, isn't normal.

Dog behavior seminars are good for more than you'd think. :D

Watch him closely for anymore such episodes, try and make a note if and when these happen. Hopefully it was just a one time thing.

He just refuses to give up. I managed to wedge a water bottle in his cage earlier. It's alot better then drinking out of a water dish, he poops in it, so it has to be changed twice a day... I'm just hoping he drinks out of it. but I've noticed it's still as if he's about half there. No more episodes like that as of yet. He's doing a bit better mentally, he let me pick him up a week ago without being scared, now he'll fall asleep in my hand again. It's so much better for him to be with his brothers. I just started putting him back in with his brothers today. I walked downstairs and he was curled up in a rat ball earlier, and I picked him up and started scratching his cheek and he was bruxxing like crazy :D I'm hoping that he continues to do better so we can leave him in with his brothers, but not overnight. They fight him overnight, it scares him alot.

He might have some type of neurological event going on... I hope he continues to improve too... it really is hard to watch them go through that.

Back