Nightmares on animal cruelty

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexandraBoo

I was surfing you tube, and i came upon a video. here it is for anyone who can stand to watch such cruelty, i caution you strongly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98jVGxvcLEM

The point of this post is for people to remember and pray for those little rats who die inhumanly everyday in pain in " The Name of Science" Personally I am strongly against animal testing, and cruelty. This is a matter that is somewhat hidden from day to day life, some people like me notice it more than others and are hurt by it a large amount more than allot of society. Animal testing and cruelty is in my nightmares night to night, i feel the pain for the poor little animal,dying a cruel painful death. it is a very touchy subject, but i figured id bring it up, as it was bothering me and was on my chest for a long time. It makes me sick. I wish i could stop it. :cry:

Long before I ever had rats in my life I worked for the Canadian Red Cross. They moved the National Headquarters from Toronto to Ottawa which meant my job was going there and I was not sure I wanted to move to Ottawa permanently. Before the move I was sent to Ottawa to help set up and organize the offices. I found out that my office was going to be directly above the "animal research" lab. When I asked about it I was told not to worry - they weren't going to be doing tests on monkeys or anything - "only" on rats. I knew there was no way I could stand the thought of what was going to be going on right under my feet and resigned from my position.

Most of the research done on animals is abhorent and has no value. The people willing to do that to those helpless creatures have no souls. :evil:

I strongly believe in preventing animal cruely and have volunterred for the RSPCA now for years... but I don't think I can bear watching that videa if it's extreme.. Can someone summarise what's in it, and give me the likely hood of me feeling very disturbed and upset by it? :(

I watched a bit, and stopped when the rat was spun - that's hideous... oh god it's vile... I wish I hadn't seen even that bit... sigh... oh god :sad4:

starfoot - The entire video is mostly just the guy spinning the rat around countless times and hitting it against the cage. :evil:

The subject of animal testing has always been something I'm personally unsure of. In some cases, I will be against. Say the animals are being tested on for some kind of new consumer product (Makeup, shampoo, etc...) or even in some cases for science as well. But when it comes to medicine testing, it's up in the air for me, it depends on the severity of the disease/virus they were trying to find a cure for, and how the animals were being tested on.

Animal dissecting on the other hand, I don't like it, I hated dissecting frogs and fetal pigs, hatehatehated it, but I've never really been against it either. Though I am against dissecting a LIVE animal, it should be humanely euthanaised beforehand.

If any of that makes sense, it's late...or early for some of you, :lol: it's 5:30 in the morning here. I need rest.

It does make sense to me JacktheRat. I'm the same way, it's so hard to know where to draw the line.

I know I can't watch any of those videos. They haunt me.

That is very sad. I think the person in that video may have been deathly afraid of rats and was forced to pick one up. That was my initial feeling anyhow.

I have many friends who as techs go on to work as laboratory techs, some in cancer research. There are care guidelines and standards in place, and all of the test animals are treated with care and concern by the vets and techs. There are also established humane endpoints, which means if in a test the animal is clearly going to die it isn't allowed to suffer it is at that point euthanized. One friend of mine is a surgery tech is a lab, and during surgery they are monitored and treated even more viligently than our pets a lot of times.

I have also had to dissect rats and cats while becoming a tech and those who propose to do everything on the computer instead.... that can never replace hands on learning. And if it is your animal on the surgery table, I think you would want the vet and tech to know 100% everything about the animal.... not just 60% because it was learned on a computer and they have never actually seen the inside of an animal before.

Well, there is a difference between animal cruelty and seriously doing research that can benefit our veterinary and doctors offices. any other cause for doing this is not important to us animal lovers. and will not benefit anyone in a strong enough way.

starfoot said:
I watched a bit, and stopped when the rat was spun - that's hideous... oh god it's vile... I wish I hadn't seen even that bit... sigh... oh god :sad4:

The video has no blood, or goar. but it makes up for it seeing the pain the poor thing went through, i wouldnt watch it if you are like me, sensitive to animals going through cruel uneeded pain. its a asian boy spinning a rat by the tail, and then hitting him on the cage multiple times. while his class mates laugh about it.

I disagree ....

I don't believe in any animal testing etc.
It is unnecessary and bad science ... remember things like thalidomide

As for vet, vet tech, etc education, those education programs can use the same methods used to train doctors and surgeons ...

I have to agree with SQ. Animal testing is obsolete. When there are cheaper and more effective alternatives.

And why is okay to test on animals but stem cell research is considered an abomination? So we torture living breathing thing as opposed to an already discarded fetus? Where is the logic in that?

There will never be a cure for AIDS or Cancer or any other thing out there. No matter the millions thrown at research and the animals who live horrible solitary lives being tortured in the name of science. It is called population control.

Instead of spending millions on a cure that will never happen. Why not spend it on making sure there is not a single homeless hungry child again, or building shelters for the millions of unwanted pets.

SQ said:
As for vet, vet tech, etc education, those education programs can use the same methods used to train doctors and surgeons ...

On cadavers? That is what we use for most things. But where would you find rat cadavers to use for medical training?

The rats are bred for medical purposes, and humanely euthanized before being dissected. IMO much more humane than even the cows and pigs we raise cruelly and slaughter for consumption but that is a WHOLE nother can of worms....

AlexandraBoo said:
Well, there is a difference between animal cruelty and seriously doing research that can benefit our veterinary and doctors offices. any other cause for doing this is not important to us animal lovers. and will not benefit anyone in a strong enough way.

When i said this i meant, doing it when you absolutely need to. if there is a way around it definatly is not acceptable. but training to be a vet, does require you to know the anatomy of many animals, and the rat (sadly) Is the closest to alot of animals,and humans. Im not saying this is right. I am 100% against it. but its the cold hard truth of life. Though i wish i could change it. I cant.

Back