Next? (Terra) Update 11/30 :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Zuri's rebounded beautifully and is amazing about her daily injections, Laila has stabilized really well, I am sooo pleased. Last night I had a bunch of groups of rats out, and the elderly girls in the Horde were having a blast watching all the carry-on outside their cage...except for Terra (Zuri's sister). After Goli's gals went back, I pulled her out...sigh. Not well at all. She looks old, and sick eyes etc. She was doing something with her mouth that made me think of Maya and her PT. I cuddled her and watched her wobble around, and have a drink. This morning, the ladies ran for the cage front when I got up (they are in the bottom of the FN closest to my bed), but no Terra. I found her lying over her edible log not moving...and I thought she wasn't breathing. Well she was, but a little worse this morning. I kept thinking internal masses as I cannot get a good feel/palpation but her belly seems funny. So just in case she was in pain I gave her a dose of metacam. She wouldn't eat her breakfast cereal even when she was in her decker she wouldn't even lick my finger :sad3:

Before I left for work, I took a peek in their cage, and found ALL the girls in the one decker cuddling up to her in the middle. :heart:

Tonight I am thinking I might try the same course of meds Zuri is on, even though there's no breath sounds or signs of illness besides the poufed fur, and sad confused sick ratty eyes. If it is a PT the dex might help, if she's got an infection going on the gentocin might help.

What do you think? I gave her the metacam early this morning, but its a really touch and go situation with her, so I will ignore all warnings and not wait quite the 24 hour period in between NSAIDS and steroids.

Terrasept21.jpg

Oh Shel, you are having a heck of a time with your furkids. Oldies really break my heart.

I say give the meds a try. There is no harm in trying and as long as she is not in pain, keep trying. Look how Zuri and Laila have rebounded.

You are such a great rattie mom.

I also think that severe illnesses need drastic-hard hitting meds for the first 24 to 36 hours and after that normal doses.

I did not know you could not give pain meds and steroids at the same time, why is that?

Melissa's ZOO said:
Oh Shel, you are having a heck of a time with your furkids. Oldies really break my heart.

I say give the meds a try. There is no harm in trying and as long as she is not in pain, keep trying. Look how Zuri and Laila have rebounded.

You are such a great rattie mom.

I also think that severe illnesses need drastic-hard hitting meds for the first 24 to 36 hours and after that normal doses.

I did not know you could not give pain meds and steroids at the same time, why is that?

Metacam, ibuprofen, banamine etc are called NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug)...Tylenol, Buprenex are not :)

from ratguide.com regarding dexamethasone
When used with NSAIDS will increase GI distress or cause bleeding, use together cautiously.

When it rains it pours.
A long time ago, Jorge was acting the same way, after only a few days on Baytril he rebounded right back to normal. I'd go ahead and do your magic with the meds combo like her sister.

jorats said:
When it rains it pours.
A long time ago, Jorge was acting the same way, after only a few days on Baytril he rebounded right back to normal. I'd go ahead and do your magic with the meds combo like her sister.

good thing I ordered butterfly needles!

Poor girl. You should put her on the meds and see what happends. If she's this bad then the meds couldn't hurt right?

How old is Terra?

Try to encourage her to eat. The Metacam won't be as likely to cause a GI upset if she's got something in her tummy. I'm praying that she bounces back for you too - just like Zuri and Laila did!

Awww, poor girls... that means both you and Terra! I hope she feels better... we know you'll do everything possible.

Sucky news...she fought the sub-q so much I was unable to inject her. I wouldn't even touch her skin and she'd be flipping and biting (not me, but anything that wasn't me). But while she was struggling I got a better feel of that belly and I think my baby has internal masses :(...later on once she's forgiven me the nastiness of the metacam I just gave her I will have her on my lap, stroking her and making her zone then I will start palpating. :sad3: But the metacam made her much more comfortable so loving and metacam until its time to say goodbye, whether she goes on her own or I help her over. :heart:

I come home today and find Terra running to the front of the cage only looking slightly elderly. :shock: I pick up my bright-eyed girl and realize her swollen belly is gone, I palpate her and feel nothing!! I think I was feeling her intestines all full of gas and she was all bloated. I am sooo pleased to be stupidly and embarrassingly wrong, and Terra and Zuri will be sticking around for a lot longer. :happydance:

Back