NEWS! She climbed!!! Developmentally delayed ratty?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

My sweet Caramel, who is about 8 months old, had always lived in an impoverished environment. She was bought at Pets Unlimited, where she was in a glass tank with nothing to climb and little room to run. The people who bought her there had hoped to put her in with their female rat whose friend had died recently. When the other rat would not allow her into the cage (the people hadn't known how to do an intro), they felt obliged to house her in the only other cage they had. It was a small hamster cage, and there was nowhere to run or climb. Her out time was on a sofa, but I don't know how often she got out.

Anyway, since I brought her home to live with me, I have had her in a playpen or in cages where she could climb. She does not climb, she does not scamper. She has figured out the wheel, but she doesn't run fast. She just saunters. I put a couple of little ramps in the cage, and she does walk up those.

Has anyone ever had a rat like this before? My Bill and Julia had also lived in cramped cages, but they immediately ran and climbed once they got the chance. Both of them needed a couple of weeks to improve their strength and coordination, but there was no hesitation in wanting to run and climb.

I am hoping that she will develop those abilities once she is fully integrated with active rats, but I don't know.

Aw poor sweetie. In my uneducated opinion, it may depend on the rat. She may not feel like she can do these things because she never had. I'm not sure. Kisses and cuddles to her.

Fable couldn't walk. She slithered around on her belly...but only a few inches...it was soo sad. But over time her muscles strengthened and she learned to stand upright, walk far, then hop. then run and climb. She was an old lady when Moon brought her to me too. I think Caramel will figure it out :D

I too think that Caramel will work it out. If she's not confident in general, she may not feel she can do these things yet, or even know such things are possible. She'll probably learn from the other rats once you intro her :D

We picked up rats that lived in containers the size of shoeboxes... A couple of them took a while for them to realize they can actually move, jump, climb. While others like the amazing Lulu, at 2 years of age when given the chance started to run and climb like there's no tomorrow. I think in time she will learn from the other rats and might go full tilt when she knows she can.

When I got Jack his backstory was that he was a classroom pet for a year, so I assume he was in an aquarium. He didn't know how to climb, but its been almost two months now and he's figuring it out. I agree, its totally just a confidence thing. Once they see that their friends are doing it, I think they figure it out lol

I've had a few come in, Romo for one, that never had a real oppourtunity to climb, and do "rat things".
He was soooo timid, and REALLLLLY nervous. He'd been used as a breeder, but it was short lived, as he "wouldn't" breed....
He came here, and as some of you know, because you helped me to help Romo, it took a long while, but he is now more confident, lives with 10 other boys, in a dbl FN, and climbs, runs, etc, just like he SHOULD!

She will get the idea of it all, and I think too, her muscles, and body need time to strengthen, like SHelagh said.

Sweet soul
:heart:

Poor little one :sad3: I bet in your care, she'll come around very quickly and soon learn to run and play. Fingers crossed for her!

When we brought Nick and Ben home (two retired WSU lab rats) they were about a year old. I had other boys that age that still ran, wrestled, played and even popcorned. But Nick and Ben never did. They lived in a box the size of a shoebox at the lab, but luckily were put in mazes (even water mazes, I guess) so they did get some exercise there. But they never appeared to get any time other that "work". Even though the hubby and I would play wrestle the hand with these guys, they just looked at us like "oh I don't think so".

We lost Nick last month to heart issues :sad3: , but Benny is still with us. He now lives with 8 (spayed) girls. He's very energetic, but still never actually "plays".

Thanks for the info. I was not sure what to expect.

But there has been some good news since this morning.... We put her in the Martins playpen for the entire day, with a couple of familiar things from her cage and plenty of things to explore. And.... she has been scampering! :happydance:

Extra, extra, read all about it :joy: I just saw her climb a little bit! :woohoonaner: :bliss:

I am so relieved. she is still very shy, but she is progressing in all areas. :love7:

Sweet!!!
The first time I saw one of my shoebox ratties climb, it was so funny. He was a baby about 6 weeks old so he picked it up quickly but he first put his two bottom legs on the bar then quickly off again, then back on and back off. Finally he kept them on and just went upwards. :lol:

Good news for Caramel! :joy:

My Brie, since being with the other rats, has really developed her self-confidence (she was a nervous wreck when I first rescued her) so being with other rats may help.

Back