Newest to the gang-very timid

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyklyst

Again a behavior/personality question...ya'll seem to be such a great resource! Thank you!

I got a baby black hood female from our exotic vet on September 29th. She was rescued from a snake feeder, I don't know anything more than this...not sure if it was a breeder or she was in a cage with the snake etc. Pockets was 3 weeks old when her and her 2 sisters were taken to the vet. 2 of the 3 girls were spoken for and I was given the 3rd when she was just 7 weeks old. Her and her sisters were all spayed right around 3-4 weeks old and the vet is using their procedure as a sort of test run for tumor potential. Anyhow, we have 4 other rats, one has some serious cage aggression, so we have Pockets with 10 week old Uh-oh (fmle) and our man 29. The 3 are very happy together.

I am concerned about Pockets behavior though. When we take her out of the cage and have neutral play with all the rats, the other 2 girls Mocha and Pixel join them. Pockets huddles into a corner, gets behind/under any other rat and won't move. She is refusing to explore, she hovers like a dog who has been abused, whenever we approach her. In the cage, she hides in a corner if we open the door to pet them, she runs to the furthest distance. When you do reach in to touch her, she latches on with both her paws-she doesn't pull or push you away...but won't let you get much closer. I have been letting her dictate most of the time, unless its cleaning day or neutral day. She is ok with Mocha in neutral zones, but once in the same cage with our aggressive girl, she either gets attacked while hovering or she hides. It's almost as if she has been abused or something.

What can I do, if anything, more than I am already doing? We take her out for snuggle under the shirt time, I hold her on my shoulder when she will allow me to get her out. She's just "off" and her behavior is so odd to me.

This is so sad and typical of rats leaving the nest far too early. She needs the reassurance of the other rats. Can you speed up intros and move her in? I'm guessing that will help her tremendously in feeling more secure and learning that humans are good.

Kudos to you for taking this sweetie in!!!

She was with her sisters till we took her, alone for a week, then we moved her in with 29 and Uh-oh. She's just not doing good....

Oh ok...so she lives with 29 and uh oh but play time includes the other two girls. Uh Oh is fairly young right?
How long has she been living with 29 and Uh Oh?
If the three girls were subjected to extreme fear, they did not benefit from being together, it actually strengthened their fear, feeding it off of each other. So it's going to take some time for her to come around.
I would suggest forced socializing like you did with the other two girls. Extra one on one.

Pockets was given to us on Sept 29th, she has been in the cage with 29 and Uh-Oh since about the 5th. Uh-Oh is maybe 1-2 weeks older. We got Uh-Oh very young, maybe 4-5 weeks old. So Pockets is about 9 weeks old and Uh-Oh is maybe 11 weeks old. 29 is about 7 months old.

I feel so bad for this baby, she is so sweet, but soooooo very timid and scared, she physically shakes. I will continue doing one on one and continue with neutral time with the other 2 girls. Thx for the info as usual. Jorats, you're amazing!

Back