Newest Rescue Wiggles - Huge Tumor - Tamoxifen Anyone?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldsGal

Hey all!

I got an e mail from a girl who worked at a vet clinic. They had someone surrender their rat to them and the vet tech just decided she could not take the rat in as she works and goes to school full time. The rat just would not have the attention it deserves from her. Although she really really wanted to keep her has she loves rats to pieces and lost her last pair a year ago.

In any event she asked me if I could help out and take her in. I agreed to do so. This little girl was named Wigglebutt by their owner but the vet tech shortened it to Wiggles as she really didn't like Wigglebutt. I think I agree so I have been calling her wiggles too. She is unbelieveable sweet. She gives kisses like they are going out of style and just wants to be on you at all times. We know she is over 2 years old but are unsure exactly. She was kept in a Coast Del Mar 3 story Hamster Cage. http://www.coastcages.com/catalog/index ... ucts_id=45 Her entire life. She was also kept as a lone rat her entire life. I just can't get over how unbelievably sweet she is. Dangit I love the geriatric rat.

In any event the saddest part is that she has a mammory tumor. It is very large and it stretches from under one armpit across her chest to the other arm pit. The vet tech had her for about a week and she said that it grew significantly while the girl was in her care. It is very ageesive. The vet tech consulted with the vet there in their clinic who said she would attempt removal if we wanted to but she would not recommend it on a rat that old and with the tumor being that size. As an alternative the vet clinic sent home with me a huge bottle of Tamoxifen tablets to try on her. Has anyone used these before and has anyone had any experience with them?

My next problem is that the pills are 20 mg. The directions say to crush half of the pill and mix with food. Then give 2 mg by mouth every day. I have not a clue how I am going to figure out how much is 2mg. Any help and advice there please?

Ok now for what you really really want. PICTURES:

DSCN1568.jpg

DSCN1561.jpg

DSCN1560.jpg

DSCN1566.jpg

DSCN1565.jpg

Oh wow, that is so hard to look at :( Poor thing. She looks like such a sweetie. Does the tumour seem to bother her much?

That poor sweet girl. It breaks my heart that she had to spend the most part of her life in such a small cage. :cry:
And now to have found a wonderful home and to have a tumour to drag around. I feel so sad for that poor little girl.
I so do hope the tamoxifen help. But I've read that it's only good on malignant tumours. Some people had some success with Mycoplex Coriolis and Shark Cartilage.

Jorats said it all, she is beautiful, love her lots honey & treats too, she deserves the best, God Bless her I have3 girls with faily big tumors I hate it, they are too old for surgery, but i sure love them, all of my dumpster rescues have gave me so much love! :(

If she is in good health, I personally may try to have it removed if the finances were available. I'm sure it has a lot of blood supply going to it, and it would be quite an extensive surgery... but on the other hand, the blood supply going to that tumor is soon going to start draining the rest of her body of nutrients which will end her life.

Yes, there is a possibility she may not come through the surgery.... but there is also the possibility that after the surgery she would have many many more months which she isn't going to have with a tumor that large. Tevy's last tumor was about 3/4 of that size when I couldn't watch it grow anymore and had the vet remove it. She is doing wonderfully now (another tumor is growing but much more slowly).

Of course, don't feel bad if you opt not too... just make her as comfortable as possible and love her to pieces! She is a beautiful girl.

As for teh Tamoxifen, can you 1/4 the pill? I would quarter it if you can, so that would be a 5 mg piece. Then crush that, and add a measure amount of liquid (eg 0.5cc or 1cc) and mix thoroughly. Then draw up half of the amount of liquid you added and that would be a 2.5mg dose.

Poor sweet girl! She looks lovely, and I am sad to think of her dragging around that big tumour.

You have a tough decision. I don't know enough to give an opinion, but I am glad that she is with you. However long her life is, it will be filled with love.

Oh what a sweet girl, so sad that she was housed in one of those cages. I cant stand those cages. *shudders* I am very happy that she is with you now.
I say if you have the financial means and she is in good health, go for the surgery. If not than make her as comfortable as possible. Send her kisses from all of us.

Back