Newbies from Toronto...Charity & Her Girls Photo Dump :D

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Lynds forwarded me an email from a woman asking for help. Basically she had gotten overwhelmed since having her first oops litter, and then there were more. She ended up with 28 rats (including the 3 original girls) quite quickly. Her husband had/has a snake and she saved the 3 girls from being eaten, so the husband didn';t and doesnt understand rats as pets and was threatening to toss them outside or poison them while she was at work. When her 7 year old daughter decided to mix and match rats, more litters were born and it snowballed. Her MIL told her to just drown the babies as that is what they do with kittens...thankfully this woman did not listen to such terrible advice and and instead saw Lynds' HH Rat Rescue and contacted her. Lynds asked me to email her. We then discovered she was in Toronto, so I ended up taking in a young mom with her litter of 12 2-weekers and 3 young boys (3 months?). Sooo meet the newbies. :)

The boys, they are young and small (between 225-245 grams)...they need some socialization that is for sure! The black hooded boy is spookiest and is covered with mite scabs (they all got treated with Revo except for Mom last night). He's very brave and explores, just not sure of those terrifying human hands. At one point though I was holding him, gave him a kiss on the mouth and he licked me back :D

feb13Hoodieboy2_zpsdc702fac.jpg

feb13Hoodieboy_zps9f3ab6f4.jpg

feb13Hoodieboy3_zps69d4eada.jpg

The russian blue boy, is a self, my first. he's gorgeous. Curious but hates hands so far LOL

feb12Blueboy3_zps19a09a8d.jpg

feb13Blueboy_zpsb30ada3d.jpg

The black berk, tineiest boy, much friendlier and braver and OMG that face!

feb13Blackboy_zps639cd55a.jpg

feb13Blackboy3_zpsaa9d9ed7.jpg

feb13Blackboy2_zpsbde13762.jpg

and finally Mom and her litter...she got out for her first time today and did very well. She finds me very urious, but she has no clue about treats or bowls of baby ceraeal...confused her a lot. She loves Mazuri 6F and she's always eating LOL. She's a very good mom, standing over top of her babies, which is a sign ofgood motherings (I need to dig ou that article again). I have a concern with her though. She's always moving so it might take me awhile to get a better freel, but I thought I felt a hard lump in her abdomen :undecided: The girl told me that she was separated from before the birth so I don't have to worry about a post-partum pregnancy, but its worrying.

Meet the litter of 12, there eyes are starting to open up so they are more than 14 days old

feb12Momslitterof12_zpsd2ae08db.jpg

I was tired when sexing them last night and will do it atgain, but I think I see 3 girls and 9 boys.

Pretty mama
feb12Mom2_zps1bde0b8f.jpg

Good mama!

feb12Momandbabies2_zpsb6e1fdc9.jpg

feb12Momandbabies4_zps2977ec99.jpg

feb12Momandbabies3_zps27084a40.jpg

feb12Momandbabies_zps9d7b789a.jpg

*gah* I am going to need at least 4 names for now! More later on... :thud:

so cute. That little blue boy is so pretty! cant wait to see a better picture of the babies more of the colors and patterns they are.

ahhhh so sweet. Maybe go with a theme for the Momma and babies....maybe something spring like?
The three boys need brave names....maybe The three Musketeers Athos and Aramis (for the black hoodie and berk) and Porthos (which means dandy, fond of fashionable cloths) for the blue....

Dahlas said:
ahhhh so sweet. Maybe go with a theme for the Momma and babies....maybe something spring like?
The three boys need brave names....maybe The three Musketeers Athos and Aramis (for the black hoodie and berk) and Porthos (which means dandy, fond of fashionable cloths) for the blue....

Ohhh I like for the boys!! :thumbup:

So precious..thanks for taking them in.... I'm new to rats (May 2012) and just the thought of what they wanted to do put tears in my eyes. Those precious faces how could anyone harm them. :rant: I really think I found my passion with these guys and to think I almost decided rats weren't for me and didn't take them. :emb: :emb: :emb:

OK boys are out for the 2nd time. I moved their cage near to where I sit at the computer, so they are more "exposed". They are doing better today on their fear levels...much easier to pick up and hold loosely, they seem bright little guys so a little bit of time and effort and they are going to be great. Tthey have been assigned their new names

Athos - black berk
Aramis - black hoodie
Porthos - blue self

Thanks Godmother!!

So now that its official meet the boys

Aramis

feb14Aramis_zps5b337390.jpg

Porthos

feb14Porthos_zpsac38e7dc.jpg

and Athos

feb14Athos_zps3aae3d79.jpg

and just to give you a size reference, Athos dangling reluctantly :giggle:

feb14Athosdangled_zps0b8419c3.jpg

And now for what I am sure some of you have been waiting for...

the little momma girl...needs a perfect name. She's sweet, active, gentle, friendly and curious..a really special perfect mother type of gal...and she's sooo pretty! :D

feb14LittleMom3_zpsfe1e6c99.jpg

feb14LittleMom_zps4fc2f5d5.jpg

feb14LittleMom2_zps702618b3.jpg

Babies!!!

I sexed them again pretty carefully and still get 3 girls and 9 boys.

the boys
feb14boys_zps406ba0be.jpg

the girls
feb14girls_zpsf90ab5c4.jpg

Their eyes were cracking on some of them 2 days ago, yesterday all their eyes were open...and already they are zooming in a very agile and not wobbly manner...my babies are advanced! LOL

feb14babies4_zps7c3cb2cf.jpg

feb14baby3_zpsd993aec3.jpg

feb14baby4_zps13dfbb9c.jpg

feb14babies5_zpse89f17d2.jpg

feb14groomingbookendbabies_zpsa06d9347.jpg

feb14babies_zps425ebed9.jpg

feb14baby2_zps9757e685.jpg

feb14baby_zps32b20480.jpg

feb14girl1_zpsfb7059c5.jpg

I love a handful of sweet babies :heart:

feb14babies3_zps598cec99.jpg

So I screwed up. These babies should not be climbing yet being 16 days old, and their eyes open only 2 days. I opened the cage door to give Charity some food, and never saw a baby climb out. He must've fallen in the waste basket below the cage...and Clemmie found him. She killed him. This is a good example of how rats often think of tiny babies as not "rat" but as "prey". So anyone thinking of introducing your young babies to adults use this sad situation as a warning.

RIP sweet little boy. :sad3: I am going to crawl into bed now and pull the covers over my head. Tomorrow has to be a better day for all of us. :tearful:

Pics are in the spoiler of what she did to the baby. Most times adults just bite the spine killing the baby instantly...Clemmie was different.

[spoil:1g81njkv]
feb15babykilled2_zps9467157e.jpg

feb15babykilled_zpsf66a12be.jpg
[/spoil:1g81njkv]

Back