New, worried.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plague

Hi guys! I have a sweet male rat who was a recent rescue. I found him in a carry box at a bus stop outside the pet store. He was so tiny, I initially thought he was a mouse. After a week, it became apparent he is actually a rat but we decided to keep him anyways. I have had him for nearly a month now. I guess him to be around 8 weeks old. He is the sweetest little guy and we are already very bonded. Today, I noticed Benoit making a rather odd sound. It was almost like he barked. He has absolutely no sign of illness, no congestion and no discharge. He is making another new sound, like a guinea pig squeal but shorter. Both sounds worry me. I love this little guy already but cannot afford a vet right this second. I had to take a month off from work and until next pay day (Friday next week) I am strapped. I feel horrible, and am pretty certain these are sick sounds. I have had rats before and haven't ever heard these sounds. I dunno. I was wondering if it is possible that these are just Benoit's ratty language. I am not quite sure what I can do if he is sick :(

Rats are vocal but they are squeaks. if he sounds like a guniea pig then he is probably sick. I would get him to the vet as soon as possible he will need antibiotics to recover.

Is there anyone who could help you out with getting him into a vet? Or any vet around you who could work out a payment plan? I know what it's like to be strapped for cash with a sick pet, and these were both things I had to look into. It sounds like he really needs antibiotics and, since he is so young, the situation could become critical very quickly. I would start seeing if friends could pitch in. Call some local vets and see who could work with you. You can make him comfortable in the meantime, but there is nothing you can do at home (without antibiotics) that will help with an infection if he has one.

It is very important to take him to a good rat vet or a good vet who is willing to learn.
Many vets do not know how to treat rats.
Rats become ill and die fast. As prey animals they hid illness so when you are able to tell that they are ill, they are usually very ill and need medical treatment very soon.

He needs to see a good, experienced vet and will need antibiotics asap

Just an update...
He's not sick. He has damage to his nasal passages, probably from being left out in the snow. He underwent a full course of antibiotics, and still is a sneezer. The barking noise I heard from him wasn't a cough either. Since he's gotten (much) bigger, he makes the same sound but it doesn't sound so much like a bark anymore. More like a groan. Other than that, he checked out with a clean bill of health with the vet. :)

glad he's doing better. Have you gotten a buddy for him? he'd really appreciate that. I know you said you found him and you weren't planning on having a pet rat but they do so much better with a friend. And there are always rats needing homes, sadly.

Kind of. I wound up taking in a rescue that I was told was male. I had her in quarantine and did a thorough e aluation, determined she was definitely not male and then about a week ago she developed a belly. Today,, she gave birth to 13 pups! So we have decided to keep one male, and one female and rehome the rest. Next month we are purchasing a ferret nation cage, so we can safely house everyone, separate the males from females, and take our time finding loving homes for everyone. We found a great vet who is going to help us find homes, and also offer care to the colony at a severely discounted rate. I have a fully stocked emergency care kit now, so I am also able to intervene if Eddy doesn't take well to motherhood. She is already doing great, though. In the interim, Benny and Eddy get closely supervised play time so they aren't completely alone. :)

Kind of. I wound up taking in a rescue that I was told was male. I had her in quarantine and did a thorough e aluation, determined she was definitely not male and then about a week ago she developed a belly. Today,, she gave birth to 13 pups! So we have decided to keep one male, and one female and rehome the rest. Next month we are purchasing a ferret nation cage, so we can safely house everyone, separate the males from females, and take our time finding loving homes for everyone. We found a great vet who is going to help us find homes, and also offer care to the colony at a severely discounted rate. I have a fully stocked emergency care kit now, so I am also able to intervene if Eddy doesn't take well to motherhood. She is already doing great, though. In the interim, Benny and Eddy get closely supervised play time so they aren't completely alone. :)

A Ferret Nation might not work for your girls unless you use hardware mesh and cover the cage so they cannot squeeze through the bars.

I agree with Lilspaz... If you are planning on using the FN with babies, you'll need to mesh it until they are big enough and can't squeeze out of the cage - or you will have way more babies on the go!

I would go with the Critter Nation instead. A little more expensive, but WAY safer with babies! I know I just cannot live without mine! :)

In the interim, Benny and Eddy get closely supervised play time so they aren't completely alone. :)
Ummm, if Benny and Eddy are boy and girl, you are going to have more babies. Rats can have sex in the blink of an eye, and would be done before you had a chance to react. Seriously, I know this because my neutered boy Albert breeds my female Ruby when she's in heat.

Back