New type of food by PetFoodDirect good or not?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

So I emailed Harlan Teklad because I was wondering about getting food from them. They sent me this email.

Dear Ms. Horsman,

PetFoodDirect and Harlan Teklad are pleased to announce their partnership to serve the needs of small retail as well as wholesale clients. Harlan Teklad has changed their minimum order policy to $1000 per order, for both pick up and delivery.

PetFoodDirect, working closely with Harlan Teklad, will be supplying a new product line called Native Earth. This line will follow the same formulation as Harlan Teklad. These products include:

The Native Earth 4018: this is the same fixed formulation as the Harlan Teklad 2018 Global 18% Protein Rodent Diet and is also made by Harlan Teklad. The only difference is that it is in a 40 lb bag instead of 33 pounds and retails at $20.99 per bag.

The Native Earth Aspen Sani Chips 2.2 Cubic Foot Bedding: this is the same as Harlan Teklad 7090 Aspen Sani Chips which is produced for Harlan Teklad. This retails at $9.99 per bag.

The Native Earth Shredded Aspen 4.38 Cubic Foot Compressed Bedding: this is the same as Harlan Teklad 7093 Shredded Aspen, which is produced for Harlan Teklad. This retails at $11.99 per bag.

All of these products are available with no minimum order quantity, as well as with a bulk discount rate.

Thank You for contacting PetFoodDirect

Toni
Customer Service

Has any one heard of the Native Earth food? I think that's an amazing price 40 pound bag for 20 bucks! What do you guys think is this something we should go for?

I'm pretty sure it's available now and that we can order from Canada because in my email I put I was from Canada. I'm going to call the number and get some more info.

Edit: Holy crap! Shipping is insane! This food is available but for just one 40 pound bag of food she quoted me the total price would be around 250$!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbang: That is ridiculous. I was so hoping that I had found a half decent priced food. *sighs*

There was some news about this a while ago... I don't know if it was out yet or not.

Pet Food Direct is a US based website. I don't know what their shipping policies are like.

I just ordered a 40lb bag of the native earth food from petfooddirect.com and it cost just about 30 dollars....a little high but worth it. The 40 lb bag is on sale right now and they also give you 5% off which is like 69 cents but hey....it's something, right?

You're lucky mercurydust you're in the US. I don't know what the deal is with Canada not having a freakin store for this food. So annoying. We have one box of the food we got from Clark so I wanted to start finding something now and prepare. That box will still last us a few months but still I don't want to have to buy one small bag of Extrusion for like 10 bucks when I could get something bigger and better for cheaper in bulk.

I order from Petfooddirect all the time. Of course Im in the states, so the shipping doesnt cost me a kideny plus my first born :wink2:

I have yet to have a problem with them. Its the easiest way for me to get the 2018.

Just for the record, Native Earth is not a new food. It's the regular Harlan 2018 repackaged into bags for the commericial market.

Just for the record, Native Earth is not a new food. It's the regular Harlan 2018 repackaged into bags for the commericial market.

commericial market for the US. You can buy the food on Amazon.com but it won't let me ship it to Canada. They weren't very helpful in explaining why either when I emailed them so that's annoying.

lindsayfawn said:

commericial market for the US. You can buy the food on Amazon.com but it won't let me ship it to Canada. They weren't very helpful in explaining why either when I emailed them so that's annoying.

Most of the time they don't want to ship to Canada because it's a pain in the ass. Filling out customs forms and stuff.

If I can get my act together in the spring I'll probably do a Harlan run which you would be more than welcome to get in on. In the meantime I could always pick up some Mazuri at Ren's and ship to it people out east.

we would for sure like to be in on a Harlen run! We have a box of the food we got from clark left and that will last us for I would hope a few months. We just want to make sure we find out what our options are when we have to start buying food again.

Back