new rescues... should of been 6 boys... but guess what? Happy Update 3/23/14

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
victoria said:
How long did she have them? Honestly, they look old enough that they should have already had a litter if they'd been with males this whole time. I'd be flipping out...

Guinea pig food is usually like rabbit pellets or it's seed mix if the manufacturer is trying to appeal to the masses. I think it's one of these two foods that you got with these guys: http://kentfeeds.com/products/other-ani ... -products/

We have guinea pig food and it is small. These actual blocks were 2 inches long they were huge in the bag. I didnt take it I told her to dispose of it because I didnt need it.

Dahlas said:
I guess all my years working rescue has made things a lot clearer for me....you don't bring more lives into the world. You don't have that luxury when working in the rescue world....those homes are needed for the lives that are already here and struggling. Of course it was never an easy decision...I love babies, who doesn't but if you have the opportunity to prevent more babies being born you do it. (This is how I was taught)
Ultimately the decision is yours not mine...and I KNOW you will do what is best for these rats and for you. There is a reason I am no longer involved in rescue...it is very hard and the decisions you have to make can be unbearable... Good luck to you...what ever you decide I am behind you!

I know that is where I am torn with the choice. My work schedule isnt helping much nor the weather. I have missed 2 days of work in the last few weeks from snow and I never miss work ever. I am checking to see if a heat cycle kicks in on any of them. I am hoping that for some reason they wont be but I am still torn on what to do. I dont want to bring anymore into the world trust me but at the same time the spay is just as horrible as the other. I cannot even begin to say how bad I am struggling with this one. It is borderline tears when I think about it with either direction.

hopefloats said:
victoria said:
How long did she have them? Honestly, they look old enough that they should have already had a litter if they'd been with males this whole time. I'd be flipping out...

Guinea pig food is usually like rabbit pellets or it's seed mix if the manufacturer is trying to appeal to the masses. I think it's one of these two foods that you got with these guys: http://kentfeeds.com/products/other-ani ... -products/

We have guinea pig food and it is small. These actual blocks were 2 inches long they were huge in the bag. I didnt take it I told her to dispose of it because I didnt need it.

Dahlas said:
I guess all my years working rescue has made things a lot clearer for me....you don't bring more lives into the world. You don't have that luxury when working in the rescue world....those homes are needed for the lives that are already here and struggling. Of course it was never an easy decision...I love babies, who doesn't but if you have the opportunity to prevent more babies being born you do it. (This is how I was taught)
Ultimately the decision is yours not mine...and I KNOW you will do what is best for these rats and for you. There is a reason I am no longer involved in rescue...it is very hard and the decisions you have to make can be unbearable... Good luck to you...what ever you decide I am behind you!

I know that is where I am torn with the choice. My work schedule isnt helping much nor the weather. I have missed 2 days of work in the last few weeks from snow and I never miss work ever. I am checking to see if a heat cycle kicks in on any of them. I am hoping that for some reason they wont be but I am still torn on what to do. I dont want to bring anymore into the world trust me but at the same time the spay is just as horrible as the other. I cannot even begin to say how bad I am struggling with this one. It is borderline tears when I think about it with either direction.

so sorry :hugs:

One of my adopters from ohio who took in some of the babies last year from noel and them is offering to take a momma and I can list the babies on petfinder for ohio. It is an option to lessen the load of the mommas here. She si 5 hours away from me.

Right now I have them on watch. Emily appeared to almost be in heat.... I am not sure yet... It has been along times since i had to guess about it. Nora the girl who was choking the first night and was fine is titly all of the sudden..... and Emily had a strange bubble on her vagina. It reminded me of a placenta sack not so much blood. She is fine and taking treats and she doesnt appear to be in pain but acting oddly. I am going to check her tomorrow and see how it goes. If all else fails and see it again, I will attempt to show up at my vets office on monday morning with her but i have no idea how I will pick her up since I work until 8pm a total of 2 hours the other direction of my vets office. it is day by day right now. I started meds for nora but I am hesitant on a steriod unless I can get her in for a spay. I have to make sure these girls are ok no problems one thing but I am concerned about babies and these other things we have happening. There was no weight gain tonight but my scale is new and they are utter chaos to weigh :)

I dont suspect a virus since the girl who had them has had them all for over a month only two are sneezing which is Clay and emily. Even then it doesnt sound like anything major but I am medicating to be safe. I have them in the living room with a no touch rule for my daughter. I can have her tend to my rats when I tend to these that way I can prevent anything from hitting the rats here.

I am working on weighing the girls and still trying to pinpoint the issues they are having. I have 2 10 hour shifts today and tomorrow from 10am to 8pm. A storm is set to hit us again either today or tomorrow. I wish it would stop I am beyond tired of snow. I will off after weds for 10 days. I am hoping to get another vet visit in to show her the problems i am seeing with nora and eva so we can decide from there. I hate that time is so short when dealing with possible mommas because I have the worst schedule known to man. Nora head tilt is still there and eva still has an odd buggy eye. I havent seen any discharge from any of them outside of some porph spraying on the tissue which I suspect is from emily and her sneezing. My stress level is elevated so I took a week off work a paid vacation so I can see what is happening iwth the girls here. I am still unsure if they are in fact pregnant but I am sure i will know this week since if they are they would start the weight gain soon. I cannot figure out Eva's eye. I dont know if it was always like this or something that just started. It is really making me nuts checking them s much during the day. I am sure they are not liking it at all either.

Just take a deep breath, and relax! What you're doing for these girls is amazing, just like everything you've done for all of the other fortunate rodents who've passed through your life. I understand that this is difficult and upsetting, not knowing if they may be pregnant, and unsure of what to do if they are, but you're going to give yourself a stroke worrying so much!

I'm glad you took a paid vacation from work. You need it. You'll feel a lot better just being able to hang out at home, and monitor everyone a lot easier. And good thing your daughter's there to help you out too.

It is beyond how I need this vacation.... You have no idea with the hours I work I get up at 3am on the weekends leave at 4 am to be to work by 5am and I work till 3 pm and dont get home till about 4pm. It has been weeks of driving through snow storms, on Ice and just a long drive for me both ways. I am just totally burnt out. I will be moved back closer to home soon which I cannot wait for I am just over this driving.

The girls seem fine. Emily seems to be clearing up with her sneezing a bit, Nora is still a tilty girl and Eva still has the eye buggy thing I havent seen the bubble again. Tomorrow I will try to get some pictures of her eye some close up see if I can see anything on it. I will also weigh them again in the morning. I found a small spot of blood in the hammock on the TP i keep in there to monitor any blood. It isnt enough to be concerned over since a small amount wont kill them but the not knowing why is bothersome. I will probably be going back to the vet wednesday or thursday to have the vet check them over again maybe she can give me some insight LOL although I doubt it since I usually tell them what I have most of the time. They learn from our odd cases.

I have to get that naked boy out of the cage with the big boys he is terrified in there so I am going to try to see how he does with the other two that are confined to the living room till his sneezing stops. He would be ideal to go with the baby boys but I cannot take him upstairs to the rat room till I know he is clear. He seems about the same age as the boys I have and I know if i put him on petfinder he will go fast being a naked boy.

These girls will be the death of me. Pregnant is one thing but I have so many other things to watch on them I dont know the answers to them and I dont do well with that. :)

71587_10151953173476409_2017135669_n.jpg

1798488_10151953173486409_106813259_n.jpg

1900158_10151953173496409_389335284_n.jpg

1656155_10151953173606409_1316155980_n.jpg

1901850_10151953173631409_1605593893_n.jpg

Eva's eye.. I dont see anything that would cause the buggy eye.

The eye itself looks healthy and shiny. I don't know why one would bulge more than another. One of my new girl's eyes also bulges. Since it doesn't seem to bother her, I am leaving it alone - I guess because I don't know of anything that could be done anyway...

That is what I am doing. I had to try to rule out what I could but I am guessing that maybe it just does it. I will keep watching and see what happens.

Kona and Bumble's eyes bulge every so often, but its subtle and the vet was actually the first to notice it when I was having him look at their dull eyes. Unfortunately, we are watching them to see if it is possibly a sign of PT since they are related to Curley. Since Curley got the dull eyes a few months before his PT became apparent. There has been so much turmoil in that cage since Curley and Finn passed. Kona my once confident side kick of Curley's has become very timid - almost scared and continually gets beat up on by Bumbles. Bumbles, the scared timid always hiding side kick of Finn has definitely become our aggressive alpha in the cage. GMC is still just a loner.

These girls are to young for pt... I dont think they are very old at all. I thought about pt but this is a very clean bulge with nothing else showing.

I am going to call my vet's office tomorrow to see if my vet is in on friday. If so I will be trying to set up spays for the girls. Nora has a head tilt. I see small amounts of blood in the cage. Nothing to be concerned over but still worries me none the less. The agouti boy is hormonal and fighting with them all. So i have yet another neuter to add to the list. The spays will take up my neuter fund which was donations and money I set aside but it is what it is. I am not happy with having another mean boy but I am hoping if i place them on petfinder as spayed girls maybe I can get the neuter fund back after adoptions. I just dont know that anyone will pay the money so i can get the cost back. I dont know if i would want to adopt out a titly girl or not Of course I am upset with this all To me this is horrifying but I am worried for the mommas at this point and if i lose one of them to birth I dont know how I would forgive myself. I could honestly cry right now but it is what it is.

I just wish it didnt make me cry. I think it is the fact they came from a small animal rescue that makes me so upset. I dont like the bleeding and I am worried about Eva I am pretty sure it is her who is doing it. I cannot judge if she is just scared of me but she is always in the corner of the cage like she is trying to poop I just have a feeling something is wrong. I dont want to have one done and not all of them If i am going to do it then I need just have them all spayed. It is just a hot mess and I dont get how I am cleaning up a mess from another rescue. My husband dont do much with my rats treats now and then but he can sex them without an issue so it is that concept that is just making me so damn angry over it. The anger causes tears. I found homes for so many rats. It has been great homes so far I have taken in so many that have just lived their life out there but I want to see them in homes and I still have 10 babies left from the last litter i took in. It is just a depressing day for me. To make this choice is just a bit overwhelming.

I feel your frustration, but you have to realize that you're just one person, and you can't do it all. just remember that each rescue you take on is a choice. there must be literally thousands of rats out there in need of rescue. you can only do so much. it sounds like you been in this rescue business a while, and you seem to have all your ducks in a row. you've done a lot of good for the rats that you saved. don't take on so much that you begin suffering physically from the stress. hang in there! :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

That is what worries me. It could triple my numbers in the matter of minutes. It just worries me because if they all have babies I wont have any room for anything else that comes in. I get a lot of boys in that need help and I am the only one in the area who will take the biter boys in. For some reason it is just so upsetting that it was a rescue that had them and put me in this spot.

They go in for spays tomorrow. Hopefully the weather holds up and it is just cold and not anything else.

Ok Remy I the meanest boy will be neutered along with the 3 spays. Since I got some donations and I need to get the boys done :)

Back