New Rescue Boys..Talty update 06/08

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

I took in these boys from a rescuer who was overwhelmed in St. Catherines. Our own Andrea/Crackerandcola, drove them to me on her way to a family gathering and dropped them off this morning. :thumbup:

They arrive…and Andrea gets a big hug :heart:
Theboysarrivema10.jpg

Box 1 is a pair of boys. A 7 month old beige hooded dumbo rex, and his 3-4 month old black hoodie rex friend. They are both timid, but shouldn’t take much work. The beige hoodie already likes to lie in his hammock and listen intently when I singsong that he is okay to him. :D

Edited to Add: The little fella will be Bean, and his beige friend will be Baloo. :lol:

The beige boy is 410 grams, and his little friend is 280 grams.
beigerexmay10.jpg

youngrexhoodie2may10.jpg

Nice butt young man!
youngrexdooeidmay10.jpg

The beige especially has fantabulous whiskers
beigehasgreatwhiskersmay10.jpg

And they really DO like each other
beigeandyoungfriendmay10.jpg

Box 2 is another hoodie rex, but this big boy is a dumbo. He has been renamed Taltos, and is pretty frightened and needs work. He is 515 grams.

A taltos was an ancient Hungarian shaman, who sometimes came in the shape of a talking horse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taltos

“Bright light, bright light!”
Taltos-brightlightmay10.jpg

Come out of there you say?
Taltos-comeoutyousaymay10.jpg

Oooh bad flashy!
Talto-stupidflashythingmay10.jpg

His rumply side
Taltostherumplysidemay10.jpg

Getting scratches
Taltosgetsascritchmay10.jpg

And this is where I discovered he has lice, poor little bugger, so I popped him in his cage, washed my hands, changed my shirt, changed the couch fleece.

Got 2 more pics in his small cage (he is moving into a bigger one next week)

More bad flashy!
Taltosmoreflashymay10.jpg

Where am I now??
Taltosmay10.jpg

That beige boy is A-dorable! :heart:

Sorry to hear about the lice! Yucky! I hate lice! Every time I run into those pesky little critters I have the heebie-jeebies for days afterwards! :sick2:

henry's_mum said:
:tongue:
OH NO! Dumbo rexes???
I'm SCREWED! :doh:

They are cuties! and the fawn :cheeky:
:heart: :heart: :heart:

beige, no fawn this time around :)

Really cute boys...Taltos will be staying but the other 2 may be going to you or finding an adoptive home together. :mrgreen:

lilspaz68 said:
henry's_mum said:
:tongue:
OH NO! Dumbo rexes???
I'm SCREWED! :doh:

They are cuties! and the fawn :cheeky:
:heart: :heart: :heart:

beige, no fawn this time around :)

Really cute boys...Taltos will be staying but the other 2 may be going to you or finding an adoptive home together. :mrgreen:

AWESOME!!!
Let me know!!!

Quick update...little Bean is a curious sort, but nervous about approaching me. Really good for being picked up and handled though. A real doll!

Taltos is very curious, and last night he kept popping his head up from behind the pillow like a groundhog and staring at me. I would say Hi, he would listen and then bounce away. He is nervous but if I go slow I get to rub that funny little head. I don't think it will be long before either Taltos or Bean are playing with me.

Baloo is very frightened and actually he needs the most work, I was told he was the friendlier of the two. :lol: His cage was put on the floor and he was huffing at the Moncton Monsters, 2 feet away and up high. They were just watching him. So his cage is on top of the FN where he cannot see other rats, or stressful things and I will take out the worried boy tonight and see how we do.

You just have to love income tax returns...all 3 boys are booked to be neutered on Monday May 25th :thumbup:

Baloo was out last night, but his photoshoot wasn't great, he's soo frightened and a bit hormonal too...but he improved a little, but he will definitely take time and patience. :)

Bean was out for his 2nd session and he is improving in leaps and bounds with odd moments of startle, and run :)

He liked to run back and forth between my hand and my shoulder/neck
Beanbuttmay13.jpg

Bean7may13.jpg

Then it was time to discover the Rat End Table
Bean3may13.jpg

A bit startled
Bean5may13.jpg

then happily grooming
Bean4may13.jpg

Posing on the metal litter basket
Bean2may13.jpg

And finally bravely up to the stool
Bean6may13.jpg

And he is now waiting for me to come back and "entertain" him some more. :laugh4:

Baloo finally got his photoshoot :)

I had Taltos out, he did okay, I had Bean out and had him bouncing and playing and cuddling on my neck...he loves kisses, then it was Baloo's turn. Poor nervous boy. :sad3:

He often sits on the far couch arm or top of the couch and watches me like Rory used to. But I cannot get a pic since he moves off when I move.

So I took pics of him showing fear when being touched...

and we begin... I always go very slowly
Baloo-touching2may16.jpg

Baloo-touching1may16.jpg

Baloo-touching3may16.jpg

Baloo-touching4mau16.jpg

He was being a very good boy, uncomfortable but not bolting so I stopped here to let him process again.

Then he found the teddy bear, his new mattress/friend :heart:

Balooandhisteddymay166.jpg

Baloo2may16.jpg

One day I hope to be his "Teddy Bear" :mrgreen:

Back