New rescue boy... meet Ivan: Neuter tomorrow!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pomegranate seed

So, I know I shouldn't be looking on usedottawa and kijiji or cragslist, but I can't help it. This little guy keeps jumping out at me, I so want to save him. So I'm waiting to hear back about directions and such, but hopefully he'll be home with me tomorrow awaiting a neuter. Let's hope it works out. Here's the advertisement link:
http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/8940728

we picked him up two days ago or so and he is not dumbo but she swears that's him the the picture but that is no matter as he is the sweetest guy . and they named him "sneezie" because he sneezing all the time :wallbang: we plan this week to go to the vet with him but if you would like to adopt him you are more then welcome to. if you adopt him we know he would be in a great home. also you said you worked at a vet maybe he can go for a check up there and get a discount or something for his sneezing?

worst thing is also he does not know how to drink out of a water rbottle we have to put a bowl of water for him or else he will not drink :panic: and she said he was eating hamster food and kaytee diet .

Geez, that would have been nice if she let me know that. I just felt so badly looking at him all alone in a tank in those pictures. I feel much better knowing you guys have him, so I think I'll pass on adopting him as I was going to be going over top number if I got him. Have you seen this snake owner is getting rid of 30 rats? Here's the ad:
http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/8976802
It makes me so sad. There always seems to be more rats needing saving and needing good homes wherever you look. :(

yeah i saw that one too that's just crazy.

this girl that we got Sneezie from (i think we will prob change his name) i think she was or is a breeder or she had some babies also because i seen her ad before but as selling or giving babies or she was giving others away because i remember the picture like you we thought gosh he has been posted so many times, that's why we decided to respond to them. but if you see in that tank there is two of them second picture. we did not get to see the tank we stayed at the door. also in that picture looks like cedar shavings most likely why he sneezes the way he does and being in a tank.

btw what vet place do you work at? i wonder because everytime we call places they do not know much about rats and it seems very hard to find a very good vet. the one we go to now is good but not great and we want to try finding a better guy in time.(the vet we go to does not even have a small scale to weigh the rats :wallbang: ) but other then that he is great with the rats knows what to give them and such, just the dosing i have to recheck when i weigh the rat myself. I am going to be telling him if he wants me as a customer he will need to get a scale that can weigh rodents and other small animals.

oh here is another ad also on free rats in a hamster type cage it is crazy but people think that rodents are little teddy bears i think at most, just because they are small does not mean they would not need vet care among other things:
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pe ... Z126901435

Ok, so the girl just got in touch with me by email, and she said apparently she had 2 rats and one just went to another home, which I'm guessing is you, lilangel, and that she still has one male rat left that needs a home. So I may be getting this boy. Sigh... I don't know why she didn't just tell you she had two together. Anyway, I'll let you know how this turns out.

pomegranate seed said:
Ok, so the girl just got in touch with me by email, and she said apparently she had 2 rats and one just went to another home, which I'm guessing is you, lilangel, and that she still has one male rat left that needs a home. So I may be getting this boy. Sigh... I don't know why she didn't just tell you she had two together. Anyway, I'll let you know how this turns out.

yeah when we got there and she showed the boy to my hubby he told her that is not the one in the picture and she said it is and that she did not have any other boy to give, very weird woman i guess, but it makes sense in ways because this boy seems depressed. can that be? he eats but not much at all anytime he moves he sneezes like crazy. that's pretty sad to separate them if that's what she did.

so be careful with the one you take in as this one is pretty sick to me i think anyways to move and sneeze the way he does is not normal(hubby said he read somewhere that some rats sneeze and are not sick) but him he has the red on the walls and so on. we were going to the vet today but an emergency came up here and we have to redo the vet thing. once we do go to the vet and figure out what he has ill tell you.

Well, I just spoke to her on the phone and I'm going to be getting him tomorrow. She told me that she separated the two because the one you have now was beating up the one I'm taking tomorrow. I asked her if they were brothers and she said no because one is dumbo, so obviously she doesn't know anything about rats. (Well I guess we knew that already from the conditions they've been in). Oh well, at least it doesn't sound like she'll be getting any more, so that's good. Poor things. I'll keep you updated tomorrow night when I get home work.

pomegranate seed said:
Well, I just spoke to her on the phone and I'm going to be getting him tomorrow. She told me that she separated the two because the one you have now was beating up the one I'm taking tomorrow. I asked her if they were brothers and she said no because one is dumbo, so obviously she doesn't know anything about rats. (Well I guess we knew that already from the conditions they've been in). Oh well, at least it doesn't sound like she'll be getting any more, so that's good. Poor things. I'll keep you updated tomorrow night when I get home work.

that's still so weird though this guy here does not move like for real he stays in his bad and eats and drinks from it, he is so sick i think that he knows if he moves he goes into a sneezing frenzy.

oh remember they do not know how to drink from a water bottle so be sure to add a bowl of water :wink2: as she never told us and we had him in the cage with a water bottle for a day and wondered why he was not drinking but then we added a bowl of water and he drank like crazy :wallbang:

goodluck :)

Ok, so I have the new boy now. Apparently his previous name was Houdini, but I'm figuring a new one out for his new life. He is the dumbo from the picture and he's a sweetheart so far. I think what happened with their previous owner was she heard them in a tiff and thought it was serious so she separated them and igored the standard eared boy. At least that seems like what happened from my speculation. My boy is somewhat overweight and he has a lot of that orangey skin from the bad diet she was feeding. But other than that he seems pretty good health-wise. No breathing noises that I've heard so far, and no evidence of mites or lice, but I'll be watching out for anything.
Lilangel, I think she gave you the other boy because she seemed to have the impression that you and attitude were a sanctuary and I think she knew he was sick.
I'll update again when I can get pictures. I'm happy he's home though :)

im glad he is doing well.

That is just too sad to see though this poor guy lost his buddy.

and i wonder if that is the whole reason why he is acting like this, he does not move or anything looks really sad.

then the owner does not care for him and then dumps his problems on someone else :wallbang: goes to show that woman should not own pets at all since she just gets rid of them when they are too sick.

we told her he was sick and if she wanted to pay half the expenses of his vet visit and that's when she stopped emailing, so thats when we knew she knew about him being sick, she could have just told us he was.

it's because of people like that we have no many unwanted rats and other pets in this world.

So, here are some photos of Ivan:
DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

Ivan.jpg

ivandangles.jpg

He is an absolute sweetheart and I love him already... we're becoming fast friends, he and I. :D
So, seeing as I have my 4 unspayed girls, Ivan is going in for his neuter tomorrow morning, so wish him luck.
I'll be packing some treats for him for his after surgery snack. Everything went amazingly well and quickly when I went through this with Griffin and Bodhi, but I'm still getting nervous... But Ivan has absolutely no respiratory issues and is a big healthy boy, so I'm sure all will go well. Still... I feel: EEEEeeeeeeee!!!
I just love him so... I can't help it. :heart:

He's a doll!!

lilangel, you are right in assuming that your boy is probably depressed. Since the dumbo is the one with the orangy skin, then he's the one with the issues. He's the alpha producing lots of sebum.
lilangel, any chance you have pair him up with a buddy? Do you have him on meds for the sneezing? I bed doxy would be suffice.

Ok, so we are home and Ivan is now nut-less! :giggle:
He scared the begeezus out of me with how long he took to wake up though. With Griffin and Bodhi, they woke up immediately, but I guess since Ivan is older he took a bit longer on the oxygen to come back. I was so ready to start crying though... I really thought he was going. But he was faking apparently. The things they put us through, huh? :gaah:
So he's taking it easy lounging in his hammock right now. Ate lots of little goodies and drank water and even pooped normally, so he's just a bit tired out, but doing great. My lovely man-rat. :D

jorats said:
He's a doll!!

lilangel, you are right in assuming that your boy is probably depressed. Since the dumbo is the one with the orangy skin, then he's the one with the issues. He's the alpha producing lots of sebum.
lilangel, any chance you have pair him up with a buddy? Do you have him on meds for the sneezing? I bed doxy would be suffice.

we got him on chlor palm right now and we seen him go down a bit in sneezing no more sneezing when he wakes up and stuff only now when he does like a lot of exercise so i think the meds is working he has only been on it for two days or so though but good start :wink2:

as for buddy i think i will intro him with the three rescued boys(they are about 3 months old) since those guys are young as he(5 months old we were told) is im hoping they will work out together. we are also going to renamed him as i think sneezie is such a uck name :giggle: im not sure yet what to call him but it will come :wink2:

pom im glad yours is doing so well :joy: sorry to steal your post :giggle: but yup both those guys are dolls and so sweet and gentle. and :happydance: for the nut-less boy Ivan!

Back