New Ratties/New Owner

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitLuvs

As some of you may have read, I am a new rattie owner to two wonderful boys, Sam and Dean. I've owned rats before, but most of them were hand tame as they came from homes or friends. I have only bought a few rats in my time from a store, but they were always socialized before bringing them home.

These two boys came from a local pet store. They were a litter and Mom combo that were brought there by a customer. The mother was bought from another store pregnant, so this store took them in. Most of the litter and Mom went to homes with the girls who work there, these two boys were the last being there for 2-3mths.

My question is, how would I go about socializing them with our family the best way possible? They do come to the cage when you approach or walk by, they are deffinatly interested in us. But, they do not come to you when you open the cage, they will not tollerate being picked up (they panic and squeel, I noticed this when they were moved from the tank at the store). They will however take treats and sit for pettings, but I do sence they are a bit scared when touched. They do not nip at all.

I do have to add that everything is BRAND NEW to them. The simple fact of having a towel to lay on is overwhelming, they have no clue what to do with a hammock. Overall, no squabbles, no agression just total and utter no intrest in being around us.

Any good advice? They have only been here for 2 days. I do not expect miricles in 48hours by any means. Just wanting to know how to make this as pleasent for them as possible. We would like to add another boy or two down the road, and would like to have these guys established in our home before doing so.
Thanks!

My two cents:
-lots of attention, talk to them in a soothing voice, give lots of yummy treats (healthy)
-and the old stand-by: drag them out of the cage kicking and screaming, and stuff them down your sweater. (Make sure you have an old shirt on underneath). Then go and watch TV, talk on the phone, read a book, whatever. They'll probably pee and poop on you if they're nervous so don't wear good clothes. Let them settle down and snooze in your clothes. This way they are out with you, in contact with you and your scent, but at the same time can relax a bit and feel safe in the cozy sweater.
-lots of patience!!!!! They'll come around, just give them time. They need a bit to realize that people are actually GOOD things. They've probably only had negative or neutral associations with humans so far.
Good luck!

HAHA I had to chuckle at the grab em stuff em down my sweater idea! I did that with the first two boys I had, although they were babies with little teeth and nails... that idea just scares me now. Maybe in a week or two, I'll "make" them love me ;)

Thanks for the good tips!

Honestly, the sweater trick is the best thing you can possibly do. Screw their little nails and teeth, put on a sturdy tshirt and a sweatshirt you don't care about and dump them in. They will scream and fight at first but it truly is the best.

If they are hand shy in general you can start by putting your hand in the cage for an extended period of time, and just leave it there. Don't do a thing with it. Palm up, on a level, doing nothing at all. And then use your other hand to read a book, flip a magazine or channel surf. You can also put tasty treats in your hand... start with something they can take away with them, like peas or cheerios, and move up to bits of something soft on your fingers that they have to stick around and lick. They need to know that not only are you a good thing, but you're not going to force them out of the cage every time your hand goes in.

theratlady said:
lol long time no chat!!
what no ferrets?? lol are you still in cape breton?

Nope, no ferrets :( I had to move back in with my mother 2 yrs ago, and couldnt take all my animals with me :( Dont even say it, I miss them like crazy. Peek, Minas and Chase all went to new homes up this way, Ive lost contact as well. Thankfully, I was ratless at the time. Had to rehome 4 of my cats too. Just terrible.

Actually we were looking at getting a new ferret, but decided on the boys insted. Rats are a bit easier on apartment life!

Yes still in the Cape, I'll never leave this blasted place.

We did the in the shirt trick with our new wee babies and now they insist they climb into your shirt and if you don't let them they get mad...last night the smallest one ever squeeked at me cause my sleeve was too tight for her to fit into..then she climbed up my arm and down in through the neck hole! HAHAHA!
We are beginning the down the shirt with the new older girls we adopted from twitch...they protest a bit at first coming out of the cage but are fine once you get them out and hold them for a min...they are still quite happy to bo back into the cage...but they are still new to our house only been 2 weeks...altho they are very friendly and will climb up on to your arm if its in the cage and will definately take treats from you...they are just still a bit timid of being out of the security of the cage.

So keep trying your boys will come around.

Back