New rats very scared

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

I got 2 baby male rats last night and their just terrified of me, one guy especialy he runs into the box when ever i enter the room and litteraly shivers in the corner. The other guy isn't as scared but makes allot of almost sneezing noises anyone know what this is? Also they wont eat treats at all i tried cherrios and banana i havent seen them eat ANY food or drink ANY water.

I just posted this in Rat Forum for you so I will copy it here

Think of it this way, Drew. These are babies...they were used to being with a pile of other rats, suddenly there's only 2 of them in a cage in a new place, new smells, etc. Its possible they weren't handled much during their formative weeks before weaning. They consider us "scary" and "possible predators". We have these hands that swoop down from above like a hawk, or our hands hold them and they think we are going to kill and eat them.

Imagine being that small and seeing YOU! Go slow with your babies, talk to them softly and lovingly, offer your hand in their cage to check out at their leisure. Try not to grab or frighten them. Offer treats on spoon with you holding it. The scary hands are far away and they might eat some. If not, leave the spoon in the cage so they can discover it themselves and then the next time might approach the spoon with the hand on the end Rolling Eyes

If you can get them out of the cage, I often let babies explore me with a blanket over all of us...they are covered up (from predators) which can take their fear down a notch. I try not to touch them right away, just let them take their time and work stuff out in their heads. Frightened rats are very instinctual but they are also very intelligent and as long as your are kind and consistent they will come around :)

The sneezing is most likely NHS (New Home Sneezies). Rats have very sensitive respiratory systems (I have stopped wearing perfume, burning candles or having room deodorizers around mine) and in a new home and a bit stressed they will often sneeze. It should go away in a few days. If your boy starts acting lethargic or ill, he will have a URI and need a vet.

I usually take new babies and keep them on the couch with me when I'm watching TV. Wear a sweatshirt with loose sleeves and big pockets! Like Shelagh said talk to them softly and lovingly. If you can, scoop them up with both hands from the sides instead of coming at them from above.

Do they have a hammock, preferably a cube or tube? They'll feel safer if it has a top. Put their food and water close to their box or where ever they like to hide. They'll sneak out when you're not looking to have a drink and a snack but they won't want to go too far.

Well i've been putting my hand into their cage, one guy just took a piece of food from me. But they still hid in a corner BEHIND their nest box. Most of the time they run if i try to pet them. Tomrrow i would of hand them for 6 days. I'll try the sweater trick tomorrow after i let them setting into their new cage, I have a funny feeling this isn't going to help any. I had them in just a small one while i modified the FN.

well their still scared of me, but 2 of them have taken a liking to licking apple and banana baby food off my finger. But i have to put it pretty much in their face. And i've tried coxing them to my hand with this but they only get half way across the cage before they run back to their corner.

Back