New Rats, and some small troubles

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koboldbumblebee

So, I'm new to owning rats and I got my first two girls about two weeks ago, and I've watched a lot of behavioral videos and read plenty of forums about owning rats but I have a few concerns and I would be so thankful if someone would help explain some of it. To start with, I recently got a bonding pouch and I wanted to y'know, bond with them, but they won't get into the pouch and I don't want to force them in. What can I do to encourage them to get in the pouch? Also, one of my girls just stares at me for like 10 minutes at a time. What could that be about?

ice.jpg

Hi and congrats on your girls. How old are they? You can entice them into the pouch by offering treats in the pouch.
As for the staring, she's probably smelling you. Rats rarely use their vision since it's their weakest of their senses. They really heavily on smell and touch (whiskers).

maisie.jpg

maisie.png

Rats are great climbers. But fear height if it feels insecure. . At least what I noticed about Merlin. Make sure the pouch doesn't suddenly sink in if they step onto it. Could give them a short sudden impression of sinking or falling in. But if you post a pic of the set up it'd be easier to see if that's the case. I had a homemade hammock. At first it wasn't firm(though securely tied) it caved in. But after stretching it to make it firm he started going in to eat.

pc070021.jpg

Back