New Rat Owner

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all!

I'm new to owning pet rats so I have a lot of questions. I've had small animals and ferrets in the past but it's been a while.

I have two females Maple and the other we are still trying to decide on a name. We have a Merry Rat Manor set up (picture attached) but I want to make it fun, give them lots to do, and comfortable. (I already bought a space pod thats being delivered today o not pictured in the cage yet)

Also any suggestions on how to best prevent them from moving the fleece without buying or sewing liners?

All comments and suggestions welcome as I'm new to rats and need as much advice as you can give.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20191115_083322.jpg
    20191115_083322.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
sqJHwts.jpg

just for fun thought you might like seeing this setup. the wooden walkways are always covered with old towels, except for when I took the picture as they were in the wash. I keep the doors open most of the time and let them free range on the table. at the end i have a drawer they love to camp out in. I call it the bunker.
hKPfyeR.jpg

Things change all the time. They actually crave the variety of moving stuff around. Sometimes i make cardboard hotels that last a week lol. They are 100% worth the effort.

sqJHwts.jpg

just for fun thought you might like seeing this setup. the wooden walkways are always covered with old towels, except for when I took the picture as they were in the wash. I keep the doors open most of the time and let them free range on the table. at the end i have a drawer they love to camp out in. I call it the bunker.
hKPfyeR.jpg

Things change all the time. They actually crave the variety of moving stuff around. Sometimes i make cardboard hotels that last a week lol. They are 100% worth the effort.
This is perfect thanks for sharing! I love decorating and changing the decor so that's perfect for me. How often do you wash their blankets?

i get everything washed at least once a week. but not at the same time. i have them towels and blankets everywhere and usually change out an area every other day. i spot clean the cages during the day and replace the bedding weekly. they will just love helping you clean :rolleyes: and mine really do like it when i look after and clean up their house. i always tell them if I'm about to vacuum...

i get everything washed at least once a week. but not at the same time. i have them towels and blankets everywhere and usually change out an area every other day. i spot clean the cages during the day and replace the bedding weekly. they will just love helping you clean :rolleyes: and mine really do like it when i look after and clean up their house. i always tell them if I'm about to vacuum...
Awesome thanks for the advice!!!

Back