New rat owner!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atinad

Hello everyone!

I am so so excited to say that I am finally a rat owner! My husband and I have been tossing around the idea of getting a pair of rats for a few months now and had finally given in and almost bought two sisters from Petsmart. I am not sure what the opinion is on pet store rats, but I am assuming adopting/rescuing is the preferred way to go. Anyway, on our way to buy some supplies we found an ad on Kijiji for a free 2 year old female that had to be gone by the 30th of this month because her owners were moving. We had been avoiding single rats at the shelter because they hadn't been socialized and were honestly too much for us for first time owners. We emailed the girl and within an hour we were at her house and brought her home with us. Turns out we are her third owners and she is absolutely amazing - she is full of kisses and loves to have her head scratched.

We had already decided to get a Critter Nation for the pair, so we continued with that plan and we moved her into it from her Living World Rat Resort on Friday night. We felt bad for her because she was on shredded paper that was soaked with urine and didn't have any toys or things to do in her cage - her wooden hut was even growing mold on the inside. So we bought her a new hut and many hanging items throughout the cage, along with wooden chews, plastic rings and wooden bird toys. She isn't entirely sure what to do with these things but she loves playing in the hammocks and tunnels.

We are in love with her so much already. Here is a picture of our 2 year old rat Betty (her box now just has a soft dog bed in it because she keeps picking at her back foot and the paper was sticking to it too much):
5v21zq.jpg

Here is her new cage:
20qjkgy.jpg

Welcome! That cage looks great and Betty is so lucky. I read your other post first.
Most of us preach against buying from pet stores but mostly because we want to end the rat mill industry. But we certainly won't shun you for whatever you decide to do. I've had all kinds, breeder rats, pet store rats and rescue rats. Congrats on saving Betty. Saving a life is wonderful!

Back