New Rat Cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krebsfam

Right now I just have one boy and I am on the hunt looking for him a friend. Ive been scouring craigslist looking for one but haven't found the right one yet.

The cage I have is okay for now but I would really like to upgrade kinda soon. I've had a double FN but I really don't want to go that big again. I have a corner in my living room that is for the rats. It also needs to be able to fit on a table or have a stand. I have an almost 1 year old who doesn't understand to watch her fingers just yet. We are planning on keeping 2 possibly 3 but thats it. I've had a clan of 7 before and it was a lot of work.

I've been eyeballing martins cages but not sure what I want at all.

I found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Black-C...916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4181147974

Been keeping an eye on craigslist as well too but any suggestions are welcome

Last edited:
Right now I just have one boy and I am on the hunt looking for him a friend. Ive been scouring craigslist looking for one but haven't found the right one yet.

The cage I have is okay for now but I would really like to upgrade kinda soon. I've had a double FN but I really don't want to go that big again. I have a corner in my living room that is for the rats. It also needs to be able to fit on a table or have a stand. I have an almost 1 year old who doesn't understand to watch her fingers just yet. We are planning on keeping 2 possibly 3 but thats it. I've had a clan of 7 before and it was a lot of work.

I've been eyeballing martins cages but not sure what I want at all.

I found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Black-C...916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4181147974

Been keeping an eye on craigslist as well too but any suggestions are welcome

That looks nice, but like my rat manor I do believe you will find hanging hammocks and such almost impossible unless you use zip ties.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but you could put up a coroplast barrier within reach of your little one??

I'm still a fan of the CN and you can get a single, but it is 2x3 of floor space.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I had a Petco Rat Manor before and thought it was a nice cage. Bit hard to navigate. I'm sold on CNs though. A single would be a good choice. :3
Wayfair has em for 138$ and free shipping and Petco has em for 162$ and free shipping but when I made a Petco account, they sent me a 20% off coupon right away - so it'd be like 130$.

I know it's like 2-3x the price of the one you're looking at and the Rat Manor, but the ease of access could make up for it. Plus they retain their value if you ever decided to sell it. :D

I'm not going to lie I loved my FN but I don't think my husband will let me buy one again since we sold a double for less than $100.

I had a Petco Rat Manor before and thought it was a nice cage. Bit hard to navigate. I'm sold on CNs though. A single would be a good choice. :3
Wayfair has em for 138$ and free shipping and Petco has em for 162$ and free shipping but when I made a Petco account, they sent me a 20% off coupon right away - so it'd be like 130$.

I know it's like 2-3x the price of the one you're looking at and the Rat Manor, but the ease of access could make up for it. Plus they retain their value if you ever decided to sell it. :D

I hate the rat manor finally retired it to the basement! I had to zip tie areas to make it safe and forget the ramps those are just crappy and don't latch on right. :cuss: glad to not be using it anymore. Although the boys didn't seem to mind it - perhaps I'm just spoiled by my DCNs

That cage is very small, essentially half the size of a single CN/FN. We have a similarly sized cage available here that is popular and they are awful - by the time you get a litter box, a house and a hammock or a wheel, there's no room for anything else. If you can't get a CN, keep looking for something bigger, your rats will be much happier with more space.

That cage is very small, essentially half the size of a single CN/FN. We have a similarly sized cage available here that is popular and they are awful - by the time you get a litter box, a house and a hammock or a wheel, there's no room for anything else. If you can't get a CN, keep looking for something bigger, your rats will be much happier with more space.

Agreed. I think people forget that though it is wonderful to be able to fit everything in the cage, floor space is a must have too! Rats really appreciate that little bit of extra room to stretch.

I'm still looking around! Already approached DH about a single FN/CN and get a very blunt no. Still keeping my eye on craigslist!

Welp went to petsmart tonight to look at cages and found this... Didn't even know this existed!

http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/c...nimal-habitat-zid36-21578/cat-36-catid-600022

It has the ease of access just like the FN/CN the front folds down and the roof completely folds up as well. The bar spacing is still a little large but not much bigger than what my boy is in now. I'm really exited about this cage! It must be completely new because its not even on amazon yet and I haven't found any reviews on it just yet. Its on sale now for $97.

I don't care for it. Sorry to bust in on your excitement but it's too small. Also, and this is just a suggestion, it is better for a cage to be tall rather than wide.

What about the:

Prevue Hendryx 485 Pet Products Feisty Ferret Home with Stand

It has not much less space as a DCN and is way cheaper at $137 on Amazon.
It is 31x20x54. It does have 7/8 in bar spacing though so you would have to use hardware cloth around it unless your boys are beasts! Also part of the floor is wire so you'd have to make sure it's covered for their feetsies.

How much are you looking to spend? I love cage shopping and can keep my eye out.

Last edited:
Its only 2.5 inches shorter than the living space in a FN/CN. (I pulled the number from an add on to just get the living space height without the shelf) I have the medium sized one. In store it was on sale for $97. I just double checked the dimensions and I have the medium.

Ah. I didn't realize they came in different sizes. I must have been looking at the small one.

How do you like it?

I haven't put my boy in it yet but it was pretty easy to put together. Then door folding down and the roof folding up is amazing! I think its going to be a breeze to clean.

You got the one that's 16.5x13.5x13.5?

Edit: I didn't realize there was another page.

I hope you like it, it looks like it may be tricky to hang hammocks in. I wish it weren't marketed to GPs and rabbits, they need so much more space than that. I'm really disappointed in all the new Oxbow cages I've seen.

Last edited:
You got the one that's 16.5x13.5x13.5?

Edit: I didn't realize there was another page

^This was what I was looking at I think when I commented above that it was not enough room. They come in multiple sizes though and she got a bigger one.

Back