New Here! First rat ever

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dice401

Hello!

I'm new here and I'm new to owning a rat. I acquired this rat today... For free. The home she came from was deplorable. My initial thought - a pet hoarder home. The conditions were aweful. The smell... Ugh. Anyway, that's part of the reason I'm here. I noticed that my new little girl seems to have an occasional sneeze type sound - something like when a dog does a bunch of sniffing around and then let's out a huge breath thru their nose, like clearing all the smells out. I don't know if that makes sense at all. I don't see any discharge around her eyes or nose. She seems otherwise healthy (as per all the research I did). She's super active and loves searching her new surroundings.

Should this be something to be concerned about?

[/IMG]
88a7957083be19f4797b592d389b967f.jpg

First off: welcome to the forum and the wonderful life of rat ownership!!
She's super cute!!! Does she have a name yet?
I've only had my two babies for a week and a half now so not much experience with sickness.
Sounds like a respiratory thing though. I suggest rat phoning her (holding her up to your ear and listening to her breathing). Listen for wheezing or rattling.

Also as soon as she gets a clean bill of health. You're gonna want to get her a companion. Rats really need to be in pairs or groups. They're very social. And they can get depressed if they're alone

Depends sometimes it's an allergy to the bedding they have or a scent in the air or it could be a respiratory issue. Best thing since you just got her is to see a vet to get a check up he can listen to her lungs and make sure it isn't an infection. If that's not possible then I would keep an eye on her eyes and nose and watch for red mucus that looks like blood but isn't. If they have an excess of it and sneezing that usually means you'll be making a trip to the vet for some antibiotics.
I did notice she has a seed mix I'm not too sure about females but generally a lab block food is best I use oxbow other people here feed their ratties different ones, and some fresh fruits and veggies. Also check out the cages page to get great ideas about how big a cage needs to be and what amazing things you can fill it with. Very adorable girl :)

My two eat Oxbox for adult rats. Not blocks. They kinda look like mini guitar picks.
And veggies everyday.
You can find all this information on the forums though. So I suggest reading around. Especially in the rattie 911 section.
Happy to hear you rescued her from deplorable living conditions!!

Oh yes. The cage and food are getting changed right away. That is what she came to me with. The only thing i changed right away was the horribly dirty bedding.

Hi and welcome to the Shack!
It is common when you get a rat that they have the "new home sneezes". This is just them getting used to all the new scents in your house. This should go away on its own after a week or so. If it continues on, then she will need medication for a respiratory infection.
Recommended food includes Harlan 2014, Oxbow or even Hagen hamster blocks. The problem with seed mixes is that they will eat their favourite food and leave the rest behind, so they don't get a balanced diet. With blocks, they get all the nutrition in every bite.
Congratulations on giving a rat a chance at a loving home! They do need rat company, so it's a good idea to get a second. Just make sure that they are both the same sex - do not believe other people, check with your own eyes before starting introductions.
There is lots of info here on the Shack. Dig in and start reading!

She's a cutie. Congrats and how awesome of you for rescuing her.
Since she's in a new environment, sneezes are pretty common. Wait a couple more weeks to see if they persist. I also agree that once you know she's healthy, get her a sister!

:welcomewagon: . . .

And CONGRATS on your new rattie !!! :cheering::cheering:
She is very fortunate to have been rescued.

Just thought i would give you an update. The sneezes have slowed down quite a bit. She has adjusted very nicely. She likes to sit on my shoulder in the evening and groom my hair.

I also picked up a female companion for her. A 3 month old white dumbo rat with badger markings on her face. I can't believe how much energy there is in such a tiny body! And she's a chewer... She likes to chew off any parts of hammocks that attach to the cage. I'm going to start putting wooden beads over the ends that attach to the cage... Hopefully I will have to do less repairs to the hammocks.

Awwww, I'm so happy to hear your little girl has a sister! Some rats can be quite destructive. You could try redirecting her attention by giving her other activities. Some things you can do are:
Take an empty toilet paper roll, scrunch up one end and then put yummy treats in it and scrunch up the other end. I try and use treats that won't spoil if they sit for a day, like Cheerios or sunflower seeds or peanuts, etc. They have to chew through the tube to get the treats.
Or, pick up a plastic chain or the like at the Dollar store and take a full roll of toilet paper and hang it using the chain. They will have great fun redecorating!
Or a full box of Kleenex (remove the plastic in the opening for safety).
Or an empty Kleenex box. They love hiding in it and chewing it up.
Or put a row of Cheerios on a string so they have to chew them off.
Try different things to keep her busy. Some things she will really enjoy and others not so much.
Do you also have a wheel in the cage for them to run on? Right now I have a few that will use it. I almost never see it, but I hear it so I know they are using it.
You should post their pictures and tell us their names!

First off Welcome! Glad your little lady has a cagemate.
As for toys and activities I take the toilet roll tube one step further and only put a few treats in and stuff it tight with paper...gives dual purpose, chewing then nesting material. And I stuff it tight so it's really work. Arya is a busy girl and will incessantly chew the bars when bored. So I've had to take all toys to new levels of bordom busting. And she's not yet one for coming out and playing outside the cage...she goes into freeze mode.
I'll string up large pieces of newsprint across the top where they've got to climb up to get it. I'll put rice puffs under their liner or make a second layer and put them under so they scavenge.

Last edited:
I'm still working on them playing outside the cage - they love being out and roaming around - but I'm still figuring out how to keep them contained to a certain degree. I have a small animal playpen, but it's only a foot high (and they've already figured out how to climb over it). Those toy ideas sound really good - I'm going to try them out. Haha being new to owning rats, I stare at the cage sometimes and try to think of what would be fun to them.... Not really ever coming up with much.

Back