New girls coming in tomorrow.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MumsyRat

I've never had any trouble introducing girls. Are you going to keep them in separate cages or do you plan to put them together in one big cage??

toilet? I sure hope you mean the tub! ^_^ Otherwise you might lose a few! :poop: If the new rats are 4 months old I wouldn't be too worried about the older girl. There's a HUGE difference between a 1 month old and a 4 month old. Someone on here said somewhere else that a baby doesn't smell like a rat yet, so the other rats don't always know how to react but a 4 month old is a different story! :wink:

You meant the bathroom. That's good.
I can sure understand your worry.
These rats you are getting are older than a month right? They already smell like rats so your girls won't be confused. Go slowly, make sure it's on neutral ground, a place where your girls have never been before. Have a towel ready to throw on the ones being aggressive.
Rats killing babies is different than rats going after older rats. Babies don't have that rat smell and it may confuse the older ones. Some might mistake them as prey. This is why you really have to be careful introducing babies and adults.

I used baby cereal for my intros 'cuase it's something everyone can eat at the same time with out grabbing and leaving lol worked like a charm

0308081734.jpg

Do you have something like soy milk. Rats like that, well at least mine do. Especially when you mix together soy milk and baby food (dry baby cereal usually mixed with water or milk). Like Lindsay said it's easier to give them something like that because they can't grab and run off, they have to stay there and share.

Keep in mind that unless things get really rough, squeeking, mounting and chasing each other around is normal. I let mine meet for a week together before I put them together.

If you have potentially aggressive girls, the first intros should not include any toys, boxes or hidey places. But I do recommend putting down some food in a day, something like yogurt so they all have to go around the bowl to eat.

Strawberry yogurt will work very well.
Ok so don't put any toys then and no place that they can hide. Watch Bindi closely and if all goes well, then tomorrow you might be able to add toys.

I can tell you're excited!! :D

I never realized what a lovely color mink was until Izzie came to me. :p

Good luck! :D

Great Intro.. Im glad it went so well for you, Sometimes they make us wonder what we were so worried about.. We do underestimate out little ratties at times.
I would suggest you keep a close watch on them all though.
When i introduced my 2 boys to my oldest alfie it went perfect and within 3 days they were all living together but a week later friction started and in the end i had to remove the aggesive one and hes at this moment being neutered.
Of course there is a huge age difference between your little guys and my two strapping teenagers :p
All the testosterone in my house makes me feel outnumbered. hehe

Yvonne. xx

Back