NEW Chewing Treats????

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teaka

1st, i am unsure if this is in the right category.

2nd. I think i may have found the best chew toy for rats ever! you may have used it before but, at the dollarama they have tiny raw-hide bones for dogs "rat sized" kinda! so i bought a bag and put a few in the cage to see if they would like them.... Well, 3 out of 6 LOVE them, they have chewed holes in every one and my Eva carrys them around like a dog! I am hoping raw-hide is ok for them to eat, i have read a few places dog bones are ok to feed them, depending on the protene contect, im unsure of the protene content in raw-hide though.

Anyway, these look Sooo cute when they carry them around, they seem to like the taste as they chew on them frequently and hopefully this may even help to keep their teeth at a great legnth!

I wanna get some pics cause it looks soo funny!!!

White rawhide is supposed to be bad.
I buy the brown one, my rats love them, they only get them once in a while tho. A small bone lasts them about a month. 1 per cage. It's excellent for their teeth.
Rat's arnt piggies like dogs, they wont try to swallow too much at the one time and choke & they don't eat enough at one time for it to expand in their stomachs.

I'd never, ever give rawhide to my rats because I hear a lot of horror stories about dogs choking and dying on them or it expanding in their stomachs, etc. And while I know rats and dogs are different, I'm still not risking it.

The white, bleached rawhide (has sort of a spongey consistency) is the "bad" rawhide. Because of how it is treated dogs that don't chew it properly and ingest large amounts can have serious problems including obstructing and intestinal tearing.

The tan/brown rawhide is the "good" rawhide (I'd say, "less bad" LOL) but the wrong dog chewing on the wrong size can really hurt themselves.

I prefer the "munchy" rawhide, where it's broken down into little pieces and then compressed into a bone shape or a long stick. Because it's already broken down into tiny pieces, there's much less possibility for injury.

There's a couple of things I'd keep in mind when it comes to giving rawhide to rats, though. First is the amount of protein... rawhide is almost completely protein (80% or so). Also, a lot of the rawhides that are at dollar stores (that I've noticed, anyway) are basted/flavoured, which would add a LOT of salt.

The Nylabone edibles aren't frowned on as treats IF you buy the ones that are very low protein

jorats said:
Oh I didn't think of the protein and salt in them... so no rawhides for rats!!!

I agree, I never thought about this either. Not that I have given mine a whole lot anyways.

Moon said:
The Nylabone edibles aren't frowned on as treats IF you buy the ones that are very low protein

I gave a Nylabone one once to my rats and they loved it! But I never thought of the protien and salt...oh, oh. :(

Well, they only get a few chews off of it each, the tiny bones are only about an inch long...one of these will last them forever!
This will be a not very often treat then, because of the high protene and salt.

Hopefully i can get some pics of eva carrying one though!!

I agree, No rawhide for rats.
Although rats are different from dogs, rawhide is too dangerous.
It is the fact that rawhide swells in the stomach that really impacted my decision.
Then, when you think about the protein, the salt, and likely other chemicals ... :( (Thanks for the info as I hadn't thought about them.)

Much better, imo, to give rats healthy treats that they love, then to give them things that are so very unhealthy and dangerous.

i don't know if I would feed these because of the Alfalfa Concentrate

Here is the nutrition information if anyone would like it

Potato Starch, Vegetable Glycerin, Cellulose Fiber, Alfalfa Concentrate (a source of Chlorophyll), Natural Flavor, Lecithin, Whey, Vanilla Extract, Clove Powder, Parsley Powder, Nutmeg Powder and Fennel Seed Powder.

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein not less than 0.4%
Fat not less than 1%
Fiber not more than 6%
Moisture not more than 16%

Ratty Momma said:

Potato Starch, Vegetable Glycerin, Cellulose Fiber, Alfalfa Concentrate (a source of Chlorophyll), Natural Flavor, Lecithin, Whey, Vanilla Extract, Clove Powder, Parsley Powder, Nutmeg Powder and Fennel Seed Powder.

Guaranteed Analysis
Fat not less than 1%
Fiber not more than 6%

The alfalfa would just be pooed out. This is a chew treat, not something for them to eat for nutritional purposes.

They are defnitly great for keeping those teeth down but occasionally.....im going to look into those carrot and cranberry bones tho.... they sound tasty and safe!

What do you think about Booda Bones?

Crude Protein Min. 1%
Crude Fat Min. 1%
Crude Fat Max. 2%
Crude Fiber Max. 6%
Moisture Max. 14%

INGREDIENTS - PEANUT BUTTER FLAVOR: Modified Food Starch, Water, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Powerderd Cellulose, Dried Yeast Hydrolysate, Lecithin, Calcium Stearate, Sorbic Acid (preservative), Color Added (caramel, annatto), Natural Flavor (source of peanut butter flavor).
INGREDIENTS - YOGURT FLAVOR: Modified Food Starch, Water, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Powerderd Cellulose, Dried Yeast Hydrolysate, Lecithin, Calcium Stearate, Sorbic Acid (preservative), Color Added (titanium dioxide, caramel, carmine), Natural Flavor (source of yogurt flavor).

You know Cigar, I never thought of those... the only thing that I really don't like is the colour added but that's just me being picky, LOL. They certainly look like they'd be safe, but still a less natural product.

Moon said:
Ratty Momma said:

Guaranteed Analysis
Fat not less than 1%
Fiber not more than 6%

The alfalfa would just be pooed out. This is a chew treat, not something for them to eat for nutritional purposes.

That's true.

Back