New cage need tips

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmrhayner

OK guys so I'm getting a new cage its a metal 3 foot tall with 3 levels the only down fall is that the levels are metal. Any one know what the best things to cover them with don't want anyone getting bubble foot or any brakes????

It's kinda like this one just newer and a little bit bigger
f59ddda70b53ce3003471317a9477902.jpg

Ideally you'll want something plastic that can easily be wiped down, like coroplast mentioned above. I've also used thin plastic placemats that can easily be cut to shape and placed over wires, the only downside is they are too small to cover a whole level so you'd need to tile them or find another option. They are cheap and come in many patterns. You'd want something absorbent over the plastic, like fabric or paper. When I had a cage similar to yours I just used fleece liners and made sure they were secured tightly. My rats would chew them up and walk on the wires sometimes, so I'd try to keep up with their antics and cover it up each time.

Some people cut carpet to fit over wire levels, just make sure the rats' toenails don't get caught on the carpet! I'd avoid looped carpet personally, and go for something more fringed. Carpet can be cheap and some rats don't pull up the corners, if they do you can try to fashion a way to clip them down or put heavy items on top (as long as they can't fall off the shelf onto a rat). Ohh, that's another thing - ceramic tiles can be used to hold down a cage liner AND double as a cooling surface.

I know I saw someone just remove all the wire shelves from a wire cage and replace it with their own shelving, and that was a pretty novel idea to me! They used dollar store bins and hammocks to fill the empty space, but for less active rats I think they'd want a solid flooring.

I've also seen many people use stick-on plastic tiles. I have zero experience with them, but maybe someone else can chime in with their experience?

Sorry for the essay, I used to spend a lot of time trying to deal with wire shelving on Martins Cages before I got a critter nation. Both cages have their pros, my favorite part about lightweight wire cages is they could fit in my bathtub and I could scrub them entirely :D

I have a critter nation cage but I also have escape artists for rats lol so the bar spaces where to wide. For now I used some old clothes and tied it no sow style to try to keep it covered. The rats are loving the space and new hammocks to explore. I'm going to put a climbing rope in and figure out a few other things to put in

I have a critter nation cage but I also have escape artists for rats lol so the bar spaces where to wide. For now I used some old clothes and tied it no sow style to try to keep it covered. The rats are loving the space and new hammocks to explore. I'm going to put a climbing rope in and figure out a few other things to put in

Must be a ferret nation or another type of cage as even tiny baby rats are fine in a critter nation.
If it is a ferret nation, some people cover the outside of the cage with hardware cloth so that small rats can not get out.
Hopefully your cage is powder coated (paint is baked onto the wire) because galvanized metal will absorb urine and soon stink

If you have small levels, I would suggest using a dollar store dish drain tray, cut to fit and cable/zip tied on

For larger levels I would suggest a large piece of thick linoleum cut to fit. The thick linoleum provides enough padding that wires can not be felt through it. You can purchase it from flooring or hardware stores and often they may have left over sections market down for sale.

Both of these surfaces can be cut to fit, are easily wiped off, easy to replace if needed, and they do not have smooth surfaces so rats have traction.

previous suggestions are good, however stick on tiles will be a mess to try to remove if you ever need to and I imagine urine will get between the tiles; I think that carpet will likely soon become very stinky from urine and feces.

Here are two pictures that show what I mean ..... the first shows two martins R649s I had connected in 2005 with thick linoleum on the large levels and dish drain trays on the small balconies
the other is Laurel's sons Paul, Rubarb, Casper, Luke, and John in a pretty bare cage :( in 2008 and shows two levels covered with thick linoleum attached with cable ties

2 attached martns cages.jpg

Nov23 2008 Laurels 5 boys Paul Rubarb Casper Luke and John.jpg

Last edited:
previous suggestions are good, however stick on tiles will be a mess to try to remove if you ever need to and I imagine urine will get between the tiles; I think that carpet will likely soon become very stinky from urine and feces.

That's what I always thought about stick-on tiles! I've heard people use them, but I've never had experience so I can't be certain. I'd also worry about stuff getting stuck to the bottom of them from underneath (including rats, eep).

And oh I forgot to mention that the carpets would be washed regularly just like any fabric liner! Shake them out or vacuum them, then wash with hot water and unscented gentle detergent (and/or vinegar). I use Seventh Generation's unscented detergent.

Must be a ferret nation or another type of cage as even tiny baby rats are fine in a critter nation.
If it is a ferret nation, some people cover the outside of the cage with hardware cloth so that small rats can not get out.
Hopefully your cage is powder coated (paint is baked onto the wire) because galvanized metal will absorb urine and soon stink

If you have small levels, I would suggest using a dollar store dish drain tray, cut to fit and cable/zip tied on

For larger levels I would suggest a large piece of thick linoleum cut to fit. The thick linoleum provides enough padding that wires can not be felt through it. You can purchase it from flooring or hardware stores and often they may have left over sections market down for sale.

Both of these surfaces can be cut to fit, are easily wiped off, easy to replace if needed, and they do not have smooth surfaces so rats have traction.

Here are two pictures that show what I mean ..... the first shows two martins R649s I had connected in 2005 with thick linoleum on the large levels and dish drain trays on the small balconies
the other is Laurel's sons Paul, Rubarb, Casper, Luke, and John in a pretty bare cage :( in 2008 and shows two levels covered with thick linoleum attached with cable ties
OK cool. I think you might be right I had some one give it to me and said it was a critter nation cage but I looked both up and it looks more like one for a Ginny pig or ferret cage.

Back