New cage! FINALLY HERE!!!! *pics*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenshae

Craigslist rocks. :thumbup:

Getting a used http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753322 for $30!

I'm so excited! The boys get a nice big place to run around and I've finally got a big enough cage that I can really go wild decorating and stuff, AND it's big enough that I should always be able to house my ideal number of ratties (4-5) pretty comfily (cage calculator says 6 ratties).

I'm already thinking of ways to customize and decorate it. So excited! :happydance:

It took AGES, but I finally got it! Yeesh.

Set it up last night...I never realized how much of a beast that cage is until I actually put it together.

There's a little home-renovating I have to do on it...the people I got it from couldn't find any of the ramps or the slide so I'll have to improvise on that. At some point I think I'll also order replacement shelves as these are starting to sag just a little, but they'll hold out for awhile.

Now I just have to decorate....I'm leaving the boys in the smaller cage until I can figure out what to do with ramps and fill it up with hammocks so nobody gets hurt falling, especially considering Sweeney is still drunk-walking.

Will get pictures up soon!

Donna said:
Thats the same cage I have and my ratties luuuuuuuuv it... so many ways you can personalize it

Pictures? :stickpoke:

Compared to some of the beautiful cages I've seen around here, the boys are going to look pretty scrappy considering it's going to be decked out in recycled stuff....but hey, I don't think they'll mind TOO much.

Still at a loss as to what to use for ladders until I can afford to buy new ones though. Meh.

If you can get the twisty rope perches for birds that screw on to the cage through the bars... those things are great.

And we finally have pictures :happydance:

This is super-shwag DIY right here as I am SO very broke right now, but I don't think the boys mind too much. There's still a lot of stuff I want to add, but this is what we've got so far:

000_0006-3.jpg

For now they have thick layers of newspaper until I can get hold of some fleece and/or blankets (I don't think my boyfriend would be too keen on me using the new linens his mother gave us!). Don't worry, it's soy-based ink and one way or another the boys aren't big chewers or shredders and I'll be changing it regularly. I'm gonna litterbox train them now that they're finally in a big enough cage that it'll be more natural.
I layered the shelves in such a way that they overlap so there's no BIG scary falls. Working with ways to connect all the levels without ramps since the cage didn't come with any and I can't buy replacements just now. I'm feeding them and watering them on the bottom level right now because Sweeney's still sick and not up to climbing, but I may move that to the 2nd story after he recovers.

000_0014-1.jpg

Top levels (are really boring right now):
--extra water bottle (so they don't have to go allll the way down if they're up top and get thirsty)
--corner type hammock
--long tube style hammock/slippery dip that allows access to the next level
--extra small shelf/ledge

000_0015-1.jpg

Bottom levels:
--Food & water (they need a heavier bowl if I'm not going to be using the drop-in-hole shelf like I used to XD)
--Big pile of fabric scraps for digging around in and burrowing under
--Long hammock that gives access to next level
--Wooden nest box made by the cage's old owners that they very sweetly gave me :)
--Tropical fiddlesticks as a ladder/ramp (ziptied to cage wall so they don't slip)
--Ferret tunnel leading up to next level (ziptied to cage so it doesn't slip)
--Wading pool with squash

They've been spending most of their time on the bottom level. Sweeney is in LOVE with that nest box. Both of them also really really love the wading pool, it's positioned so that the back door of the nest box leads right to it. I put in some squash but they haven't discovered it yet....if they don't eat it here soon I'll fish it out and give it to them in an easier-to-access location, haha. Either way, for some reason they really seem to prefer drinking from that than their water bottle (go figure), and trailing tails and paws in it. I don't know if it'd be a good idea to leave it in there all the time, but it sure seems to be helping with the heat.

I'm working on sewing up a few beanbags stuffed with rice that can be frozen and/or microwaved as necessary for climate control, and give them a few boxes. I want to put a permanent digging box where the wading pool is now at some point and move their pool

So far so good I think :bunnydance:

fenshae said:
Donna said:
Thats the same cage I have and my ratties luuuuuuuuv it... so many ways you can personalize it

Pictures? :stickpoke:

I don't know how to post pics in the thread but here are the pictures on picasa http://picasaweb.google.com/donna.stewartfan20/Ratties#

Compared to some of the beautiful cages I've seen around here, the boys are going to look pretty scrappy considering it's going to be decked out in recycled stuff....but hey, I don't think they'll mind TOO much.

Still at a loss as to what to use for ladders until I can afford to buy new ones though. Meh.

Back