New boys!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Went to visit my brother last week in WI - really UP of MI and there was an animal shelter by our hotel. I just so happen to know from my dad's wife that this shelter regularly has rats. Hmm, I didn't realize though it was right there taunting me to go in.... Now hubby wouldn't let me bring a travel cage with me, just because he too knew of this shelter.

Well, I went in - rats were their most available animals....and they were very very happy to see someone that wanted to see them. I ruled out girls - spays too expensive. I ruled out some boys. Then there were two big squishies - they said were 9 months, been there since June. I agreed to come back in three days. They were even willing to give me an aquarium to take them home in. So, a trip to the only pet store in miles - one new travel cage (lol hubby - one upped you) and my plan was in motion..

Two new boys traveled home six hours with me to their new CN home (they were living in a small 36" x 18x cage). They have no idea what hammocks are and still don't use them - they have been here 4 days. They have emptied a kleenex box and built forts around themselves with kleenex. They have oxbow - not sure what they were eating, but it looked like a mixture of rat seed mix, cheerios, dog treats, and whatever they mixed with it. They get fresh fruits & veggies - I do believe this is new to them too, but they sure do like them. Treats - they like treats too...

They also never had names!!! So, our more out going guy that likes to greet us we have named Zeus and his brother, who is happy to hide behind his kleenex and hang out in the liter pan is Apollo. (I wanted Lenny & Squiggy) Pick is from their ride home - I do believe I see kibble in their food too. The big treats I gave them. Oh, and I did just put them in their cage and wait for daddy to find them... :)

4e3c8f6727f8c86494f7f965c82288da.jpg

Yay, I found your post Dspch! Your boys are so beautiful and I am sooo glad they have a good home with you now, hurray! Give them kisses from Auntie Vlad, okay? These boys have won the ratty jackpot. :thumbup:

Boys had a check up today - they are big men ... Apollo has a scab or possible cyst will keep an eye on it. Going to revo everyone anyway. They behaved themselves dispite being pinned down and fondled. No one tried to bite - Yay!

They are more comfortable now with us although Apollo is still the more reserved one. I did find them last night trying to work out the pecking order.... boxing/pinning has begun.. Their poop is still a weird color, but considering what they were eating I'm hoping it will get better soon.

Back