New Behaviour - biting.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennw

So. Monkey and the Rat Train girls (sounds like an up-and-coming rock band, no?) were integrated last week into one cage. I hear the odd scuffle, but other than the first wound suffered by Monkey on intro day, no one seems to be hurting anyone else. (Fat Momma BUGS her, though. She's really overbearing, that girl.)

But now...

Monkey bit me twice this morning, once very badly. She was in her potholder, and I leaned in to give her a head rub. She nipped, but got mostly nail. I thought maybe I just woke her up, or something. It's the first time she's EVER bitten, so I was a little surprised, but whatever. I didn't think anything of it.

Later on, after my shower, I went in and sat with the girls, checking on them all, and Monkey had moved to the other potholder. I went to give her another head rub, and she jumped at me, and took a large chunk out of my finger.

This second bite was an obvious attack. I think it was kind of a defensive move, like she was 'guarding' her potholder or something. She has never, ever bitten, or even lunged like that before. I'm wondering if it's because she's still claiming her territory? Or is she being picked on so much by Fat Momma that she's defending against anything? I don't want to take her out of the cage, she'd be alone again, but I'm a little worried about her now, and hoping she's not getting bullied.

Any advise or suggestions welcome. Now that I've found you guys, I plan on tapping your wealth of collective wisdom often! I just want the best for my furkids!

I'd say it's because she's feeling worried about her place in the cage now. If she were mine, I'd be taking her out for lots of one on one. To remind her that you and your hands are not the threat. Next time, have a cheerio with you before petting her, show her when you come it's for loving and a treat.
It's very normal for her to be acting this way with this big change in her life. Hopefully, it won't take very long for her to settle down and start to love her new buddies.

Since Monkey's been alone, she got used to everything being Her's. It may be that she's feeling a need to protect her favorite spot - the potholder. It's still all very new, so she's jsut going to need some time to adjust to having all these new roommates.

You can pull her out on her own to love on her and give her treats, but I would also work with her in the cage. Rats are smart, and my own Penn has learned that if she nips the hand holding the lab blocks, they rain from the heavens. Try small treats, like gerber puffs or pieces of fruit [make sure there's enough for everyone] so she continues to associate your hand with Good Stuff. If she gets a little too nippy for that, use a spoon with a soft treat and then work your way up to 'take along' treats.

It does sound like she's very into her potholders. Can you offer her one during out time, and carry her around in it? I'm thinking that once she's inside, she's afraid that she's going to be removed from it... so being able to be in the potholder and with you at the same time could help.

Her biting sounds like she's stressed from the change in her life, or unhappy about losing what was her territory.

Don't go after her in a situation where she's cornered like that. During out-time give her extra affection. She needs other rats, but she needs to feel like she's special to you as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Her personality has really changed since she's moved in with the Rat Train girls, and I'm hoping that she returns to normal soon. I'm sure she's just trying to claim some of her own territory. I was a little gun-shy stickin' my fingers near her again, but I've learned not to touch her in her precious potholder! :wink2: I have been giving her more one-on-one time than usual, but quite often she doesn't even want to come out. She's never been one to hang out with us in the first place. She's just not a people person!

And Moon, good idea about carrying her around in her potholder during out time. Maybe then she won't mind wandering around the house with me for a while, and will learn to enjoy out time.

Hey Jenn,

Post up a photo of the potholder. Sounds like I want some of those for my cages.

Back