New baby rat died?!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickers

I just got snickers yeterday from a pet store hoping to save her from being eaten. she was fine in the pet store but when we got home she was STRESSED out so I left her alone to get adjusted. She was bruxing and shaking when she breathed and occasionally squeaking but most of all she didn't move much. I put a cloth in there to try to keep her warm and when i put it over here she would crawl out.
Please help, I have had the worst luck with rats but I really love them and I want to know why she died.

snickers said:
I just got snickers yeterday from a pet store hoping to save her from being eaten. she was fine in the pet store but when we got home she was STRESSED out so I left her alone to get adjusted. She was bruxing and shaking when she breathed and occasionally squeaking but most of all she didn't move much. I put a cloth in there to try to keep her warm and when i put it over here she would crawl out.
Please help, I have had the worst luck with rats but I really love them and I want to know why she died.

How long did you observe her at the store? It sounds like she was very ill to begin with, and the stress of moving to a new home set it off. I am sorry.

lilspaz68 said:
snickers said:

How long did you observe her at the store? It sounds like she was very ill to begin with, and the stress of moving to a new home set it off. I am sorry.

Not long at all, 5 minutes? but she was the first one to crawl up in my hand and sniff me. she was even trying to jump out of the box on the way home

It does sound like she was ill as Lilspaz68 said.

Just for future reference, it is good to get at least 2 of the same sex when you get them.
It makes it much less stressful for them.
How old was she? Was she still in with her mama?

I am very sorry that Snickers died.

SQ said:
It does sound like she was ill as Lilspaz68 said.

Just for future reference, it is good to get at least 2 of the same sex when you get them.
It makes it much less stressful for them.
How old was she? Was she still in with her mama?

I am very sorry that Snickers died.

In chat we discussed this and it seems these were 3 weekers (size of mice) with no mom at all. They really had no chance at all :(

Ah .... not ill.
Too young to be away from mom and therefore needed to be handfed or fed formula with baby cereal.
That store owner should be shot!

Actually based on the pictures we got in chat snickers did look sick also in addition to being way to young to be on her own. :sad3:

Back