New Baby Dumbos! [Pics]

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriannaDawn

Okay, so now that I'm down to one rat I felt it was time to get some more. I found somebody who needed to find homes for some "oopsies". I just brought them home an hour ago. They don't quite have names yet. My 4 year old niece suggested "Twinkle and Star". I think we're gonna go with those names, just not sure who will be Twinkle and who will be Star. I'm thinking the lighter colored one will be star, she's more adventurous. She was the first one to climb all the way to the top of the cage. The other one is a little more cautious. They both seem to be okay with being held and cuddled. I have a few pics of them in the carrier, I haven't gotten any really good pics of them yet. It's kinda dark where the cage is. When they get settled in a little better, I'll take them out and try to get some nice ones of them.

This is the one I'm thinking of calling Star, she kept moving around allot it was hard to take a picture of her. She came home and was literally was bouncing off the walls of the cage. :giggle:
5833878497_e6bb4a79f7.jpg

Sitting on her poor sisters head. She was not fond of the ride home.
5834432948_a65ab8cdf7.jpg

They have some Siamese coloring, it's not completely noticeable. Both mom and Dad are Siamese. Dads also up for adoption, she didn't want anymore babies. She kept one of the girls and the mamma.
5834433048_e4c42efd7d.jpg

They finally settled down a bit. It was a long drive for them poor girls.
5833878891_2627a1a7e7.jpg

My old rat Mary-Beth is staying at my sisters house for quarantine. Hopefully when they are a couple months older, if their intro goes okay, they can be her cage mates. It's my first intro, I've been really researching about it. Still if anybody has any tips about intros they are appreciated. I'm pretty nervous. If it doesn't go well, I got 2 of them just in case. Anyway, wish me luck. :thud:

They are sweet! I can't wait to see their colouring when it comes in darker.
As far as intros go, I think the most important thing is not to put a time limit on it. Some intros are super easy - one day - and others take a couple of months. Just go by how the rats are responding. Don't move out of neutral intros until everything is perfect. Then don't move out of non-neutral intros until once again everything is peachy. Then, unless there is fur and blood flying, let them work things out for themselves, which may involve some tussling and squeaking.
My other intro took a couple of months, adding four new young rats to four older, established rats. The intro I'm working on now is a single female to my group of eight. Things seem to be moving along much easier, with only a couple of scraps. I am *hoping* to put her in with the group this weekend (doing intros every night this week.) But I'm not counting any chickens yet! LOL

Beautiful_Insanity said:
Good luck with intros! Those are some beautiful little dumbos <3
Thanks, I'm crossing my fingers.

Joanne said:
They are sweet! I can't wait to see their colouring when it comes in darker.
As far as intros go, I think the most important thing is not to put a time limit on it. Some intros are super easy - one day - and others take a couple of months. Just go by how the rats are responding. Don't move out of neutral intros until everything is perfect. Then don't move out of non-neutral intros until once again everything is peachy. Then, unless there is fur and blood flying, let them work things out for themselves, which may involve some tussling and squeaking.
My other intro took a couple of months, adding four new young rats to four older, established rats. The intro I'm working on now is a single female to my group of eight. Things seem to be moving along much easier, with only a couple of scraps. I am *hoping* to put her in with the group this weekend (doing intros every night this week.) But I'm not counting any chickens yet! LOL

Oh, their coloring is gonna get darker? I didn't know that, I'm such a newbie :lol: . First timing owning babies. I'm guessing they're gonna have smeez markings, judging by their parents.

Yeah I was guessing the intro may take a while. If she absolutely wont accept them (or vice versa). I'm talking if either of them are drawing blood on each other. Hopefully that wont be the case, and she'll be fine with them keeping her company. I felt so bad coming home without Charlotte, it broke my heart to see her all alone. I really spent time trying to find rats with a nice temperament.

yes the intro between two babies and Maggie went just fine. Maggie first looked at little Gem and was about to tackle her in a dominance thing and then thought, "oh forget it" when she saw what a pip squeak she was. Same with Radley and Mags spent could be seen running from the rambunctious babies.

Joanne said:
In the vast majority of cases, it's not IF they accepted, it's WHEN. Think positively and you will make it happen!
Okay I'll will, I'm just a little nervous. I do promise to keep at it, I just don't want them to get hurt. I would feel terrible.

jorats said:
In my experience intros with babies and adults go well. Your babies are adorable!
You've never seen one go bad? Mary-Beth is kind of a nervous rat. She liked having her daughters with her, but they were raised together. They're pretty small right now, I think I'd be more comfortable if they were bigger. It would be nice if I could get her out of that little cage as soon as I can. I made the choice to get these babies cause she became so distant after Charlotte passed. I never see her anymore except at feeding time. Even then she takes a bunch of food to her box and doesn't come out til the next day. It's been depressing to watch.

kestrel9 said:
yes the intro between two babies and Maggie went just fine. Maggie first looked at little Gem and was about to tackle her in a dominance thing and then thought, "oh forget it" when she saw what a pip squeak she was. Same with Radley and Mags spent could be seen running from the rambunctious babies.
Just curious, how old were the babies?

arresai said:
another member for the SFDC (suckers for dumbos club) :D

They needed a home and I was looking for new buddies for Mary. It was a tough, tough thing having to take them home and snuggle and cuddle with them and give them lots and lots of belly kisses, but hey somebody had to do it. It was a sacrifice I was willing to make. :giggle:

Now that they've calmed down more and are less fearful, I'm gonna try and take them out today. Hopefully I can get them to hold still long enough to get more pictures.

Back