New baby brothers, wrestling or fighting?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointy

I'm a little concerned. We just adopted two lovely friendly dumbo boys, Parsnip and Spoon. Theyre doing really great apart from one thing. The boy with two balls (we haven't decided who is called which name yet!) has been quite dominant over the other guy, at first I thought it was just brothers tussling which they're doing alot of but I just noticed now they've come out to play after having a nap that the other boy with only one ball has a bloody nose. I picked him up and looked close and its not coming out of his nose or I'd think it was something really bad and run to the vet, its from a scratch, presumably from the other guy. Is this something to be concerned about? I was reading up on the forum about maybe doing the pinch and hold them down thing if they're beating up on a cagemate too much. Its strange though because they seem to play and nap and cuddle together its just every now and then the wrestling gets out of hand and two balls attacks one ball until he squeaks surrender. Not really vicious biting, more wrestling, pinning him down and maybe nipping.

Is it just cos they're a little stressed from a new environment or just playing? They're usually really sweet to each other and even more so to us and its only been a day! Maybe I'm just being a paranoid dad?

Any advice would be very welcome.

How has he only got one ball? Lol. It sounds like boisterous baby-play to me. My boys used to fling each other around like crazy and scream bloody murder but they love each other really. No blood, no foul.
The red around his nose is most likely porphyrin, which they secrete from their nose and tear ducts when stressed. If you've not had them long, they're probably just still settling in, and soon the pecking order will be established and you'll notice a little less pinning as the months go by. :)

edit: spelling error fixed.

Hi guys!
These guys are just doing typical baby stuff. They're wrestling, and deciding who's the domi, and who's the subi.
As long as there's no biting to cause bleeding, or tearing skin, atacking eachothers 'balls' :giggle: , it sounds all good to me.
I mean if you notice them getting a bit too rambunctious, perhaps take, 2 balls out and cuddle him for a minute until he's calmed down.
Those babies were nutty as far as play fighting went, and their parents are too.
:hugs:

It is great sign that they feel comfortable enough to play and wrestle. I have had foster babies here that have taken days to settle in enough to do that........Sit back and enjoy their antics....It is all in play. When mine were babies they would wrestle and chase each other. Roll around in little baby balls.....run and grab each other tails with their little hands.....it was so cute. Then they would curl up together and go to sleep....
Some babies play harder and more then other babies....

Wow thanks everyone for the quick response! You have put my newly over coddling mind at rest. Indeed it doesn't seem very malicious, and they seem really happy, in fact one ball seems to be able to win the odd pin down match every now and then! Oh and the boxing matches are hilarious. One minute theyre rolling around jumping on each other, the next they're sleeping in a pile.

I've had my boys for almost a month now & they are still trying to figure out who's alpha. They are constantly wrestling, just trying to pin each other, let brother up, repeat. Earlier on, my littler boy, Iliaster, was winning almost all the time cause he's quicker, but lately Panache is figuring out how to throw his weight around...literally, he's such a chub. So now I'd say they're about tied. I wish they would figure it out soon though cause I'm pretty sure it makes me way more nervous than them. No blood yet though! *knock on wood*

Oh it's them!!!!! Oh these guys are just babies... ya, playing for sure.
That is so wonderful that these guys play hard a lot of times newbies go home quite stressed and scared.
The porphyrin nose can be due to the weather... their bodies get stressed with the change of season somewhat like us too.

OK so we have the names down now. Spoon is the dominant guy and seems to have slightly narrower ears (you might even say spoon shaped heh). Parsnip has slightly bigger ears and the porphyrin nose... and still only the one ball! Will post pictures of the boys as soon as they stand still for a split second!

Back