New 6wk old girl with diarrhea-please help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petaholic

So I decided to get myself some girls to add to my Rattie family. Some people got a pregnant doe from a pet store and ended up with a big litter. I don't have any local breeders or near by shelters so I decided to help these guys out. First I got 2 sweet little girls - Topaz and Willow but then I thought...maybe just one more...so I went and picked up Hunny. When introducing them they seemed to remember each other and didn't seem in the least bit interested with each other. But hunny had some very runny, stinky diarrhea. Could this be stress from the car ride and introduction? Is this normal? I really hope it goes away. Could this lead to Megacolon or something like that?

I would say could be from being a little stressed to being in a new situation. Our babies had some bad diarrhea as well when the first got home and when we started to do intros. I'd just make sure she stays good and hydrated and she should be fine. That's just my opinion though, I'm not an expert...yet lol
Hope she's feelin better!

I've read also that banana and rice are good for combatting diarrhea, too. Debbie Ducommun's Health Guide says that you can give a little bit of Kaopectate if necessary.

My rats get loose and stinky raisins if I give them too much lettuce. I once saw some rats who were being fed some rabbit food. It was so high in protein and fibre that it ran right through them. They pooped constantly and it smelled awful. Poor things were better once they got back on rat food. And the diarrhea could also be from stress, too.

A few days of TLC should have her right again. Good luck, and let us all know how she's doing tomorrow.

i'm far from being an expert, but prob. just stress...
I've heard crackers, no salt tops of course, work, that's what I give my guys when they're stressed, it works great!

good luck! and can we have some pics, pleeeease????
:wink2:

It was suggested to me when my poor nursing rescue momma Bronwen had terrible diarrhea on her 2nd week after birth. I tried acidophilus, live culture yogurt, even prescription probiotics...nada. Then someone said to use this, it helps firm things up and is very easy on the tummy as well.

Wow, thanks for all the support guys! Looks like I'll be doing some grocery shopping! And pics will be coming ... as soon as I can get the lil buggers to sit still! Not like my 4 month old boys who sleep around all day and rarely ever move lol.

Thanks again! And I will let you know the outcome.

lilspaz68 said:
I am an advocate of the BRAT diet myself but I'll try unsalted crackers next time.

Banana
Rice (brown if poss.)
Applesauce
Toast

The brat diet always works for me - strongly advocated by my mom :wink:

Back