Never thought this would happen to me..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathleenford

Long story short, my partner and I split up. She moved out 3 nights ago, and she is very serious about not coming back. Of course, she left me with the bills (rent, internet, etc).. I can't afford to keep my 25 rat's anymore. I need help, seriously. I still have 8 babies left, but someone is coming to pick up two on Friday. So two males will be gone, and that leaves 3 males and 3 females. The female's are with DeeDee, but I'm keeping those 4.. I just need to find a home for 3 boys, and 2 full grown females, Nami and Lumina. My friend Toni gave me Nami and Lumina when she went off to collage a few months ago. Can anyone help me? Point me in the right direction? Or help me find homes or something.. I'm really struggling. I'm a 18 year old high school student, living on her own with a part time job.. Please, please help me. I don't want to do this, but I can't find a room mate. I live in Canada, NS. We could make a rat train or something.. Please help me. They're my babies.. They're all I have left. :cry4:

I was going to move in with my sister, but my nephew is very allergic to cat's.

She also left her teddy bear hamster here, and I don't like hamsters.. He is free to the right home. He comes with a years worth of food, a beautiful cage but no bedding, as I need it for my rat's.

I wish I could offer some help, but I live too far away to be of any use. :( All I can say is I'm sorry and I hope it works out...

I assume you're not on good terms with your parents to move back in with them for a bit? Most moms and dads would love to have their kids back home for the holidays.

My mom lives over an hour away, I can't switch schools and my job is here. Plus she's in a no pet home now, sense my dog passed away. My dad picked his girlfriend and her son over my sister and I, so he isn't in our lives. Thank you though, I'm hoping something pops up..

I am very sorry. That is tough....any friends/ family that can help you out? 25 rats is a lot to find homes for.....maybe contact local vets/shelters...not sure what else to suggest.

I'm not trying to find a home for all 25.. Just 3 baby boys, and 2 adult females for now. I can't afford neuters, so I need the boys out. My friend's that have rat's aren't allowed to have anymore, and I have no family members that are interested in them.. I asked the Maritime Rat Rescue but they're full. There's another rescue around me, it's called Kozy Kritters Rescue, but I don't like how they don't ask for money for them so they can go to anyone.. Plus they don't even have a vet. I don't know any other rescues that are for rat's.

email thefriggintribe to see if she can help.

There are quite a few members in NS. Hopefully they will be able to help ....
Unfortunately I am not in a position to help any rats .... barely hanging in there myself with 16 ...

very sorry about your relationship :hugs:

Edit: You can pm her as she is a member on this forum

Who is that? Haha, never heard of her. I had a lot of replies, but nothing serious. This is so hard for me, I honestly hate this. And thank you, SQ. Her dad told her to pick him, or me. A man who abused her for years, physically and verbally, got picked over me. I was always there for her, and did so much for her. 3 years down the drain.. I just don't understand.. :(

I'm in Canada, Nova Scotia. I live in Halifax. There's a girl coming today to look at them, and another on Friday, so hopefully all 5 male babies will have a home.. That'll defiantly make a big difference (to me anyways). I was going to contact the rescue in Maine, but I can't get all the rat's in to see the vet that would be going there. I'm downsizing one rat at a time.. I don't know what other rat's should go, because I have my main whats that are over 1.5 years old, and I want them to stay with me. I'm starting to think I should let DeeDee and the 3 daughters go as well. Ugh, I don't know...

I'm sorry about whats going on for you just now. I hope you manage to find someone to help with your ratties. I'm sure many of us would if we weren't so far away.
:hugs:

Good luck! I dont know anyone in that area, and wish I could help. Maybe talk to your vet? Perhaps that know someone looking to adopt, or have somewhere you can post some of your rats up. Or find them a foster home? Having pets you cant look after is scary. Its one of the reasons I never want males and females at the same time.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I truly hope enough people can rally together to give you a hand with the critters. Wish I was closer, would definitely help out.
:hugs:

I could take care of them if I had a room mate, but with my girlfriend leaving, I lost around, $1,000.. I talked to my vet, and she said she would try as best as she can to find some people but can't promise anything, and I can't find anyone to foster them. I never keep un-neutered males, but when DeeDee had the babies, there were 7 boys. 2 got homes, and I still have 5 at the moment, but I can't afford to neuter them. People are supposed to come tonight & Friday. My vet said she'll start a bill for me, but I don't wanna get in over my head. I'm starting to think I should just keep my main rat's (that probably sounds horrible).. But with all the rats that were given to me, I don't have that bond with them that I do with the others.. Ya know? I have a bond with them, just not like the others. I know it sounds horrible, but it's just me. I have a hard time bonding with people and sometimes even animal's.

Lil Whiz and Chip went home tonight! I'm so happy, they're going to be apart of another ratty family with 2 beautiful boys! She was very nice :) I did a vet check on her, and the vet highly suggested her !

Sorry about your situation! Too bad you cannot find someone to foster until you can get a roommate or back on your feet. Keep up the hard work - it cannot be easy being 18, in high school and on your own - very impressive!! :cuddle:

I've been looking, but I don't trust anyone enough.. Plus I'd still have to pay all the vet bills, food, bedding, etc. The vet bills is what i'm worrying about. Like I have money put away for vet bills if needed, but that isn't gonna last a life time. And thank you, it really isn't easy at all. Going to school Mon-Fri until 3:30, and then work at 5-9.. Then I work all weekend; I have no social life whats so ever! lol

Amazing news, everyone! (if anyone is still reading, lol) The last three boys (Jr, Oreo & Ollie) have found homes! All together :) They go next week. DeeDee and the 3 girls *MIGHT* be going to Buckwheat Rat rescue, same with Nami and Lumina. Hopefully, and then I'll be back down to 14. Sounds a lot better then 23.

Back