Neuters = Updates and **PICS**

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilratsy43

I am not too nervous about the procedure itself, but I am having 5 boys neutered all at the same time. I really don't know how the after care is going to go. Two of the boys live together, so I was just going to keep them together, should I do that?

One of the boys lives with 3 of his brothers that are not getting neutered, should I put him back in with them?

I am just afraid someone is going to be too rough or something. The vet is over an hour away so, if something were to go wrong it would be quite the trip to get them back there.

And I of the 5 boys, 3 of them have some sort of aggression issue, how long before I can do intros? I was under the impression that after a week I could try but I know it can take longer...

What do you guys think???

The two boys living together can stay together. For the other one I would keep him alone for a few more hours until he's back to normal, wide awake, drinking and eating.
As for the intros I would wait till they're all healed completely and try. But as you said it sometimes takes a while before those hormones have left them.

Good luck to all your boys.

The vet actually keeps them over night, so when I pick them up Friday everyone should be awake and eating...

I think I am just going to play it by ear, with little Ty because I really don't want him to have to recover all by himself but I also don't want to lengthen his recovery time, because his brothers were too rough!

I am just so happy I am finally getting this done and over with, I feel like it has been such a long time coming and I just want all my boys to happy and not lonely...

After this I only have one rat left to go under the knife and then hopefully I will be done with surgeries for a while...It's just soo stressful!

If he stays overnight at the vets, he'll be good to join his bros when he comes home.

Intros can be started after a week... but keep in mind, for some, it takes up to 3 months before it take effect, although, 1 to 3 weeks seems to be the norm.

Well the boys were dropped off at 8am, and now we wait! I hate waiting, I hope everyone is ok...but they will all be home tomorrow, Im missing them already!

Well I just got a call from the vet and everyone is doing fine. They said they would call me again later tonight and we could arrange a time for pick up tomorrow! I am soo excited!!!!!!

Well I got another call around 6 to let me know that Rhys is not doing so well. He had to be put on oxygen because he was having difficultly breathing...

I was at work so I couldn't call back immediately and talk with them...therefore I was having a heart attack thinking the worst. One person at work asked me what was wrong and I broke down and started crying!!!

But I just got off the phone with them and they said that so far he has been doing better. It only happens when he eats (which is conserning because thats what happened to Vixey after surgery...they were from the same breeder :sad3: )...I just hope he will be better tomorrow...

They also said they thought he may have been older then I though because his area was very tough to get through...does anyone have any thoughts on that???

Could he have aspirated food? Even an older rat shouldn't have problems with a neuter but of course it's quite possible.
The fact that another rat from the same breeder had trouble is a great concern. I'll be keeping him in my thoughts.

Oh God! I hope he is ok! I hope they are all ok, and you can pick them all up tomorrow and take them home. Oxygen is a wonderful thing when an animal / person can't breath

Well I just picked up all the boys. Everyone is doing well, they are all on metacam for the next two days. Everyone just seems to want to sleep, but I assume thats the pain meds.

Rhys is still having breathing issues, they have sent me home with baytril for him. I am still a bit worried about my little hairless buddy, he is a tough boy but to have to try to heal and be sick at the same time...no fun!

I am just happy everyone is ok, I can't wait to have everyone back in their respective cages!!!

Back