Neutering/Update SURGERY SCHEDULED

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

By know some of you know Throttle is a problem child and will be getting a neuter, but I have some questions. Since I have 12 boys will having just him neutered get him singled out by the other boys? Should I get others done too? I really want all 12 to get along, but that isn't looking possible. My 5 older boys are so lazy and mellow - except Kona/GMC when out with the little boys they get puffy. I think Kona probably could of really hurt Throttle (size difference) had he wanted to during their fight, but didn't instead he was the injured one. Peanut and GMC always seemed to have issues with each other. Need suggestions - maybe get Kona, GMC, Peanut, and Throttle then start over with intros? :gaah: I have no idea when it comes to this..........all opinions would be much appreciated. The olders boys are 1+, younger ones around 5 months old. Thanks

Disregard my question on the other thread. ;)

There shouldn't be much of a change within the colony except maybe one of the other boys will become alpha. But I have had neutered males be the alpha of a cage.
I have always found that it was best to neuter as many males as possible for a peaceful colony of males. But if that's not affordable, then you wait one by one for those who really need it.

it wont single him out at all in my big group on half are neutered. It will actually make him closer to them because he wont be such a bugger. It will take a few weeks for the hormones to wear off and make him easier to intro, I tend to neuter whoever gets puffy, rubs or shows attitude.

It is never the size of the rat that causes the injuries so regardless of how much bigger kona is than throttle, it is all about attitude with them.

Ok then maybe I won't have Peanut done cause he never puffed up, but always just seemed to be GMC's target and just have the 3 done first. Thanks guys - now if I can just get a vet to call me back

Last pm Kona was puffing up to Al just because he had the little boys smell on him - he is definately going in w/Throttle. Waiting again for a different vet to call me back. I am now waiting for 3 vets to call me back......

All 3 did call back (of course 2 called at the same time) my interviews went as follows
Vet #1 (the one 1 waited a day and half to call back)
$75/3 rats for exam, neutering $150-$175,injection and gas for anethesia (will not vary from this practice),incession site will be just before the scrotum,wants them separated 10 days after surgery from their buddies,says to prepare for abcesses,and cannot perform surgery until sometime in June.

Vet #2
$80/6 rats for exam, and wants to see them at 2 separate appointments,gas for anethesia,neutering $291,can get him in on Tuesday

Vet #3
$93/all 12 rats for exam, neutering around $200 she thinks it would be around the same price as a cat,but hasn't performed one in over 2 years,injection and gas for anethesia,can get them in on Tuesday during her lunch break. For mites would give them revolution and cannot remember the other they use, but I've seen it on here both orally. (one or the other)

I picked #2 - The little guys go in tomorrow for their exams and Throttle will be snipped on Tuesday. The big boys will go in on June 6th for their exam and Kona/GMC will be snipped on the 20th.

dspch911 said:
$75/3 rats for exam, neutering $150-$175,injection and gas for anethesia (will not vary from this practice),incession site will be just before the scrotum,wants them separated 10 days after surgery from their buddies,says to prepare for abcesses,and cannot perform surgery until sometime in June.

Injections plus gas for anesthesia isn't a bad thing, they may sedate them before they anesthetize them. Many vets, even good ones, suggest separating the rats for a fair amount of time. You can do whatever you feel is best when you get home.

I would really prefer just the gas, but yes he was going to sedate them before the gas. This place didn't have very friendly or knowledgeable office staff. When I finally got the call back today he practically told me there would definitely be abscesses regardless of where he made the incision and from what I've read on (I believe) lilspaz68 site that isn't true. Plus I don't want to wait until June from Throttle - his cage mates need a break, but I appreciate your input since I'm new at this.

I believe my vet uses injection and gas... and I've never had a neuter abscess when my vet does out neuters.

Good luck to the boys for Tuesday!

Back