Neutering boys? Boys in general?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitchiq

Getting more rats is something that I've been considering recently because more of my time is free, and I genuinely miss having them around (more than I realized). I've only ever had girls before, and I know they often suffer from tumors (both of my previous ladies did), and that spaying can really cut down tumor-risk. This time around, I was wondering about boys, specifically neutering.

Is is necessary/recommended?

Are there any common health risks that neutering would help with?

I've heard that neutering helps with a little bit of the attitude that some boys develop: does it make a difference in every boy's personality?

Does it help with buck grease?

Thank you so much! It would be really great if any of you had anything else to say about boys, or what they're like compared to girls, that would be great too!

It seems like boys are a different ball game, and so I'm really trying to research everything so that I can make the best decision for any potential ratties I give a home!

:thankyou:

I dont neuter unless an emergency (rat is hormonal, nasty). It changes their whole personality. Same with horses. My horse lost his confidence, charm, and also security with both sexes after gelding, and is now an outcast. With my rat, I could only house him with females after that, as the males lost respect for him. I also had an inguinal canal abscess develop after a neuter (same vet who does all my spays--perfectly), and will never do a neuter again unless an emergency.

I dont neuter unless an emergency (rat is hormonal, nasty). It changes their whole personality. Same with horses. My horse lost his confidence, charm, and also security with both sexes after gelding, and is now an outcast. With my rat, I could only house him with females after that, as the males lost respect for him. I also had an inguinal canal abscess develop after a neuter (same vet who does all my spays--perfectly), and will never do a neuter again unless an emergency.

Oh wow, thank you so much for the input! I've never had boys before, so hearing from others is really helping me out.

All of my males are neutered, as I house both sexes together. One of my wild Norways developed paraphimosis post-surgery, but with the appropriate care he recovered just fine. Regarding personality change, every individual is affected differently and at varying degrees. There is always inherent risk involved with surgeries, thus it should never be done without reason. If there is no need to neuter, I wouldn't.

All of my males are neutered, as I house both sexes together. One of my wild Norways developed paraphimosis post-surgery, but with the appropriate care he recovered just fine. Regarding personality change, every individual is affected differently and at varying degrees. There is always inherent risk involved with surgeries, thus it should never be done without reason. If there is no need to neuter, I wouldn't.

Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear it, I wouldn't want to have anyone going into surgery for no reason.

Neutering in rats is more risky than in dogs and cats, and is not considered a routine procedure.

I love boys personally. What you read online is generally correct. Males tend to be more relaxed and make better cuddlers than females, but every rat is different. Males usually slow down as they age much more than females do. Although testicular cancer is relatively common, it isn't as common as mammary cancer in females.

Neutering in rats is more risky than in dogs and cats, and is not considered a routine procedure.

I love boys personally. What you read online is generally correct. Males tend to be more relaxed and make better cuddlers than females, but every rat is different. Males usually slow down as they age much more than females do. Although testicular cancer is relatively common, it isn't as common as mammary cancer in females.

Thanks for the input! It seems the general consensus is "don't do it unless necessary", which I'm happy about since rat surgery makes me a little leery. They're just so small, you know?

I'm mainly asking because if I bring some boys home, they'll be rescues, and the rescue I want to adopt them from has a spay/neuter contract. However, that rescue also adopts out cats and dogs, and I can't tell if the spay/neuter contract only applies to cats and dogs, or if it applies to their small mammals too.

If I can make the adoption happen for sure, I'll email them about it.

All my rats are neutered. Occasionally they have developed a neuter abscess but antibiotics take care of that.

Rats are neutered for several reasons:

1. Due to poor breeding, many boys have hormones that may make their lives miserable. Neutering stops them from being hormone driven and allows them to be happy ratties.
2. Neutering will help rats that are aggressive toward other rats so they are no longer aggressive and can live with others.
3. Neutered rats have less allergen in their urine so people are less allergic to them then to unneutered boys
4. Neutered boys do not urine mark as much and their urine doesn't smell as strong
5. Neutered males do not have buck grease and do not seem to get penis plugs as seniors
6. Neutered boys do not develop testicular cancer (not a huge concern)
7. If you have two intact sexes of rats then girls need to be spayed (very important for health reasons) or boys need to be neutered.

Some people do not neuter their rats because they do not see a need.
Other people would like to neuter but are unable to afford to have it done.
And many of us neuter and spay our rats for one or more of the above reasons.

The important thing is having a good vet that has successful experience in neutering rats.

I believe that since Canarats rarely neuters her rats, she has very limited experience with neutered boys. It is wrong to claim that it will make your rat an outcast. I've had dozens of males neutered and it has never changed their behaviour other than become calmer, gentler and more loving. In fact, neutering a male makes them more acceptable to other males.
It is not a necessity but if you have a good rat vet, I do recommend it for health benefits mentioned by SQ.

I will also add that the key is finding an experienced small animal veterinarian who has performed rat neuters. Rat neuters are not like dog or cat neuters, as they have an open inguinal canal. Namely, there is no wall between a male rat's scrotum and their abdominal cavity, thus their testicles may be dropped into the scrotum or drawn up into the cavity (I have met people without rat experience who have incorrectly sexed male rats as females because their testicles were retained at the time they were sexed). There are two ways to neuter a male rat: abdominally (more risky and invasive) or externally through the scrotum. Either way, the surgery requires skill from the hand of an experienced veterinary surgeon. If you are unable to locate a vet who can perform the neuter safely and skillfully, then do not put your rats through the risk.

Regarding the behavioural changes outlined in Canarats' post... while I have certainly observed behavioural changes post-neuter, they have never been negative. The changes are either minuscule to non-existent (in rats that did not have any prior behavioural issues), to drastically positive (with aggressive or hormonal rats). Canarats' points CAN be applied to other species of animals (particularly with wild animal species), but I do not believe it is applicable to rats.

All my rats are neutered. Occasionally they have developed a neuter abscess but antibiotics take care of that.

1. Due to poor breeding, many boys have hormones that may make their lives miserable. Neutering stops them from being hormone driven and allows them to be happy ratties.
2. Neutering will help rats that are aggressive toward other rats so they are no longer aggressive and can live with others.
3. Neutered rats have less allergen in their urine so people are less allergic to them then to unneutered boys
4. Neutered boys do not urine mark as much and their urine doesn't smell as strong
5. Neutered males do not have buck grease and do not seem to get penis plugs as seniors
6. Neutered boys do not develop testicular cancer (not a huge concern)
7. If you have two intact sexes of rats then girls need to be spayed (very important for health reasons) or boys need to be neutered.

Some people do not neuter their rats because they do not see a need.
Other people would like to neuter but are unable to afford to have it done.
And many of us neuter and spay our rats for one or more of the above reasons.

The important thing is having a good vet that has successful experience in neutering rats.

Thank you for being the first person to comment in strong support of neutering, I really needed that perspective from the other side! I didn't know about the urine, buck grease, or penis plugs. So you would definitely recommend neutering boys, provided the procedure is being done by a good vet?

I believe that since Canarats rarely neuters her rats, she has very limited experience with neutered boys. It is wrong to claim that it will make your rat an outcast. I've had dozens of males neutered and it has never changed their behaviour other than become calmer, gentler and more loving. In fact, neutering a male makes them more acceptable to other males.
It is not a necessity but if you have a good rat vet, I do recommend it for health benefits mentioned by SQ.

Really? That's great to hear! Especially about the behavioral changes. I thought neutering only made a difference in nasty boys with a bit of an attitude, but to hear that it can make everyone a little sweeter is amazing! Unfortunately, the boys that I had my eye on have been adopted. I'm happy that they went to a good home, but it's a little bittersweet that it couldn't be mine, you know?

All of this is still great information, because I would love to keep my eyes peeled for some more boys in need of a good home, and I want to be up to speed on the - er - "snip snip" situation!

I will also add that the key is finding an experienced small animal veterinarian who has performed rat neuters. Rat neuters are not like dog or cat neuters, as they have an open inguinal canal. Namely, there is no wall between a male rat's scrotum and their abdominal cavity, thus their testicles may be dropped into the scrotum or drawn up into the cavity (I have met people without rat experience who have incorrectly sexed male rats as females because their testicles were retained at the time they were sexed). There are two ways to neuter a male rat: abdominally (more risky and invasive) or externally through the scrotum. Either way, the surgery requires skill from the hand of an experienced veterinary surgeon. If you are unable to locate a vet who can perform the neuter safely and skillfully, then do not put your rats through the risk.

Regarding the behavioural changes outlined in Canarats' post... while I have certainly observed behavioural changes post-neuter, they have never been negative. The changes are either minuscule to non-existent (in rats that did not have any prior behavioural issues), to drastically positive (with aggressive or hormonal rats). Canarats' points CAN be applied to other species of animals (particularly with wild animal species), but I do not believe it is applicable to rats.

Rat surgery is definitely a big deal, I would never have anyone go under the knife if I didn't feel 100% comfortable with the vet and their abilities. Thank you for detailing the surgery; it's just a reminder to be careful when choosing the person who will be looking after our pets. And thank you again for clarifying the comment about how neutered boys can become outcasts. It seems like that's not generally something people experience with their boys.

I used to only have boys and the rule here was if you misbehaved you lost your gonads. We have had quite a few neutered when they couldn't handle their hormones, but other wise they kept their gonads. I do believe it lowera the risk of PT if done early enough.

I have found that the boys who were neutered (if their health allowed it) lived longer than their unneutered male siblings. I honestly believe its because they had less stress in their lives.

Back