Neutering Age???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

What is the best age to have a male rat neutered? The vet I spoke with says he does them at 12 weeks....does that sound like a good age?

It depends on the vet and their experience. Some very experienced exotic vets are willing to spay around 4-5 weeks, while others want to wait until 3-4 months. So 12 weeks is just fine. Just make sure you're comfortable with your vet and how they do things.

Thank you. He sounded very nice and knowledgeable on the phone. I had talked to other people connected with our local shelter who speak very highly of him......he said he has 20 years of experience with domestic rats..........I will do more research

Some really great questions to ask him are :
How many rats has he lost on the table?
How many neuters has he done?
What sort of pain medication do they use, and how do they administer it?
[ie: do they give a shot of metacam pre op, and then give you metacam to take home post op]
Do they give Baytril after surgeries, or are willing to give it as a preventative?
What sort of sutures do they use?
How does he do the actual procedure?
[Don't have boys, so I can't remember the actual names. I know one's through the testicles, but the other...]

That would be the nice long list of questions I forgot to ask when I had my first girls spayed. Would have saved me alot of time and effort if I had.

Back