neuter?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireworks

I got my babies today! :happydance: Their names are Romeo and Remi. Remi is all black but with a white stomach and Romeo is white with spots down his back and a black head. (I know there are names for the colors but I don't know them.) I'll get pictures up soon, I promise. :p

Anyway. They are going to be 5 weeks old soon, and I was thinking about neutering. What age do you neuter rats at? Also, is it a good idea to neuter them? And is the surgery most of the time safe?

CongRATS!
Remi is a black berkshire and Romeo is a black hooded.

A neuter is not a necessity unless your boys become aggressive which really isn't common.
Some vets like to wait until the rats are a few months old. My vet does them at 5 weeks.
I have had my males neutered, I believe it keeps them young at heart, happy and bouncy but I would never do this if I didn't have my vet.

Ok, black berkshire and black hooded. :D Yay!

Doesn't neutering rats benefit them health-wise? I know spaying for girls does (I saw these really sad pictures of a female that wasn't spayed, and how she developed lots and lots of tumors) and it says boys don't usually get this type of tumor but neutering them eliminates that possibility. Is that true?

I think I want to get my boys neutered, but I don't want to lose them due to complications. Do rats normally die in this type of surgery, or is that rare?

I have never heard of any documentation of neutering reducing tumor risks.
The benefits in neutering that I see is the male lives a stress free life, not bothered by hormonal tendencies.
I would have the neuter if you have a very good exotic vet.
In all the spays and neuters, I've only lost one rat. We've had over 60+ rats done.

Hmm. I guess that website was wrong about the neutering then.

60+ with only one lost is a pretty good number... I think I'm going to talk to my vet about it. I know they handled my hamsters illnesses very well but I don't know about them neutering rats. So I'll talk to them.

Thanks for your help jorats and dahlas. :)

I have to say I am vey gald I have my boys done.....of course they had to be so they could live together with their sisters and mother. I NEVER see any humping.....they don't mark things....and they are very cuddly and playful.....they haven't changed since they where little babies except now they are big babies...... :D

The only health benefit that I think neutering would have would be no possibilty of testicular cancer... I'm not sure if that's even really heard of in ratties.

Dahlas - that's another thing - I want to add more rats over time and it'd be cool if they could all be co-ed. :)

Thanks for the replies. :) And moon I don't know if rats can get testicular cancer.. hmm.

I too have neutered boys living with spayed girls. And I find those are my best colonies. I recently added an unaltered male and he is always running after the girls and trying to do the manly thing. The girls are not impressed. lol

Back