Neuter or Spay???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argent

Just hypothetically at the moment, but when I'm out living on my own (closer to you guys in Canada!), I'd like to buy myself a double FN and start a co-ed colony. Now of course I don't want any oopsies, though I'm sure the lil eepers will be adorable as anything >.< but I was wondering to keep males and females together, do you think it is better to spay the females and leave the males intact? or the other way around? Or both?
This is only for future reference but it's something I've been thinking about today...I'd like as few of my future ratties to go under the knife as possible ideally... >.<

I know that it would be better to spay the females because there is such big health benefits in having the females spayed....but personally I would do the males as well.....seems to help in some of the less then desirable male behaviors :)

The females really benefit from a spay. But like Dahlas said, neutered boys are so much happier. My best colonies were with spayed girls and neutered boys.

ah right, I was thinking that anyway...but tbh my first pair have been boys and despite the bickering and scuffles and food hoarding, I found them to be okay...I've never really experienced having girls before but if spays keep their tumors at bay, then that'll be awesome. I just don't know how boys would react with altered females, do they still get erm...fiesty over them?

Yes they do and follow them around, emmm, sniffing and such. I've had a few girls who let the males have their way with them though and just kept on eating or doing whatever they were doing. I also have a girl who puts the big guy on his back and has even bitten him in the tummy. It still doesn't stop Kozar from going after her. lol

awwh!!! haha >.< then maybe to save the scuffles I'll get them all done...I've just been completely put off any kind of operations lately because of Axel...though I'm sure it was his size, age and deteriorating health that were all factors to him not doing so well...

i'd say if you can afford it then get both genders done. there are health benefits for both and of course the younger the better the results. but if you can only afford one gender, neutering tends to be cheaper, in some cases by a large margin too, but females have greater health benefits. it is for the price reason that i have my males neutered while my females are intact. however i'm getting very tired of all the hormone related illnesses and plan to eventually keep all neutered boys (i'm allergic to intact males, so they would have to be neutered anyway).

oh wow...well chances are I'm going to save up plenty and get them all done... (at the moment I'm begging my mum for three rescue boys >.< I think it's working!)
so yeah...and I think depending on the age of these three, I may or may not save up to get them done so they can all live in harmony with my old man Joey.

I have all my girls spayed and all my boys neutered. There are huge benefits to getting both done. But if you had to only choose one, I'd say a spay. Those damn tumours are hard to live with.

you're telling me...so I guess if funds were tight, I'd just get spays and if it's not a problem, get neuters too...shouldn't be a problem-I'm gunna start training to be a vet nurse, chances are I could work on them! XD

where you are planning your colony well ahead of time i don't think you will have an issue for the costs of getting both done. but if you are planning the priority to be females then i would make sure to start shopping around to get a feel for costs in your area. in mine its $100 for a neuter and nearly $300 for a spay. if i were to drive an hour and a half i could get it done for a bit less but then my rats have to not only deal with the stress of the spueter but the stress of a 3 hour long round trip all on the same day as i have no where to stay. if i were to pay for a hotel/motel (assuming i can smuggle in the rats) the cost of the cheaper spueter would be void as i would have to pay for all that gas and and the room.

when asking price you also want to make sure experience. from what i understand neuters are a less lengthy procedure and so costs less and is less risk. the spays are a more lengthy process and so costs more and is more dangerous for the rat. but there are a couple different ways the operation can be done too that can reduce time and therefore danger and cost. but just because one vet charges less does not mean they are using the safer method as vets can charge anything they feel like. now this is only what i have heard, i do not know which method is safer. i think it really boils down to the experience and comfort level that particular vet has with an operation on that small an animal.

i hope that helps

hehe thanks for that. I'm in the UK at the moment but I'll be starting my colony in Canada...maybe this amazing Dr Munn might see to my future babies hehe I'd feel priviledged to work at her clinic too :p

Back