Neuter Jitters

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sausage4ever

Hey everyone

My Bad*ss Rat (that's what my Mom calls him), Marcel is going to henry's_mum on Sunday for his neuter. But after reading about SQ's and Ryelle's neuter troubles, I am starting to get really nervous. This is my first neuter, and he only needs it to live with other male rats. He can play with them, but his introductions turn nasty within a week of living in a cage with other boys, also he is territorial of his cage if I put my hand in. So I'm hoping the neuter helps, but I don't want ti to cause him more pain than peace of mind.

Does anyone have some happy neuter stories or aything else that can calm me down?

argh don't let Paddys issues put you off!!

He was my first neuter EVER, and i could probably get a million rats neutered and maybe never encounter this again. Patrick isn't in pain, he's just uncomfortable. Mostly because i keep picking him up and prodding him in his man-parts. To be honest, i was more freaked out the day he had surgery than i am now. Atleast i know he has pulled through the actual surgery, and its only a bit of gunk :sick2: that i gota deal with now. I think it was a bad reaction to the suture material they have used. There was 3 knots i believe, and he has had an abscess at the site of two of them.
I think SQ is having the same kind of problem, but more severe than me (poor boys :( )

Just wait until he is fine and has some lovely little rattie friends :D

Thats the biggest thing i look forward to. The little psycho devil-man Patrick having some buddies

I do.

We've had several neuters, and many many many spays, tumor removals and other surgeries done, where NONE have ever got infected. :D

A lot depends on the vet's sterile techniques. Often vets don't shave enough of a sterile area, or just don't keep instruments, areas etc as sterile as needed. There are many factors that can cause the infected incisions you are hearing about.

If you know that the vet your boy is going to, has lots of success with neuters etc, and do not hear of infections brewing...then you are probably safe. It is extremely rare that a rat rejects suture material, but you'll often hear vets suggest that as blame :? . i.e they don't want to take responsibility. I have a friend who's vet told her that both her boys "bit" each other in that area...and that's why they got infected. What do you really think the odds are that they both bit each other in that very same area :doh:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you trust your vet and he/she has had many successes, you are probably safe and shouldn't worry. BUT, it's equally important that rat owner give them the best possible care post surgery too. Keep him on very clean soft cloth bedding and isolated from his friends for a few days at least. Change the bedding once (I do twice) a day or any time it feels like he wet it etc. Pick up any poo that he could drag himself across. Remember, that incision area is what they drag on the ground...so you have to keep him in a clean environment.

Check that incision often. Twice a day. Make sure there's no redness, swelling and most of all, smell. Yeah, you'll look kinda silly sniffing a rattie's private area...but the smell of infection can be noticable right away....and then he needs to be on antibiotics IMMEDIATELY.

Ok, I hope I didn't scare you. But hopefully, you'll have nothing to worry about. Best wishes to your little guy. May he come through with flying colors.

Shoot! I was posting at the same time as ryelle. ryelle, I wasn't referring to your comments about Patrick's neuter.. Sorry if it looks that way. :oops:

hahaha i had a feeling that would happen Debbie :)

Yes, take Debbie's suggestion on antibiotics asap if you notice aaanything wierd. It helped Patrick tonnes

Makes me feel better, Debbie!

I haven't heard any scary neuter stories from henry's_mum so I'm assuming things go smoothly with her vet. I'm not using my own vet so I am sorta nervous about that too.

Funny thing is I've had a spay done, multiple tumor removals and one toe cut and cauterized and have never been nervous!

But my vet had told me all about rat neuters and why they're so different. This is why I never had the SKinKids done, I was fearful for them (in hindsight at $50 a rat I should have got it done).

I hope Marcie is fine, he's a big strong boy and deserves it. If it was up to my Mom he would be gone but I can't give up on him. He's my PEW, and he's very loved here!!

maybe its the fact that its an unknown vet (to you) that is doing the surgery that is making you nervous. i dont blame you to be honest, i wrote an essay of questions to ask my vet before i went to see them

I'd be scared to death too. Taking my kid in my safe hands and putting them in any others... This is sure a bad time to have your babe neutered, so many worrisome neuters happening onsite, they're at the forefront of my prayers the last few days even.... maybe cause I've had a couple neuter horrors personally. It's not a thing to take lightly.

From all my years online and watching all that goes on I've figured it's not the kid or the technique that makes the difference, #1 consideration and difference in good or bad outcome is who does it.

I think henry's_mom has a pretty good ratty vet doesn't she? That makes all the difference. Jo's vet has done a kazillion spays & neuters and the loss is rare or even non-existant?
I took 2 boys to one vet for neuter, one died, the other would have without a further surgery and was so ill for months he ate nothing but ensure. Never took another rattie to that vet. But he was the spca's vet and well respected for dogs & cats... See the BIG difference?

I think your boy is in good hands.. That's what makes all the difference!

I think henry's_mum has a rattie tested and trusted vet?

My vet is good, he is human though too....
I've been to him MANY times now, he's never lost any of my rats. I've had hmmmmm, 6 neuters now thorugh him. and a tumour removal too. Noone's been lost, but he can be picky as to age, wellness, etc. He see's no need in taking unnecesarry risks, lol, his words to be exact.
He wouldn't remove Charlie's spay until he was happy with her health first. So if there's any issues with Marcel, we've gotta nip it in the bud hun. He won't even see him otherwise.

Anyhoo, i've lost one rat due to surgery, that was our Henry. :heart:
He was done not at my vet though.
All other surgeries have been wonderful and fine.

Just to soothe your fears, I'll tell you about my own very good neuter experience.

I found a vet in Ottawa who was able to neuter rats - so Mom and I packed up the two boys in the only cage for traveling we had - a cat carrier for when we would take kittens and cats to the vet. Put them on a clean rag-towel, gave them all the right foods for traveling, brought a dish with water, all the good stuff. We drove for an hour to get there early morning (as admissions so often are!). They did an inspection of the boys, said they were healthy, and we were to come back in a few hours.

So we did, they'd gone through their neuter and were definitely short some luggage in the back (I dunno if this is the 'traditional' neuter, to take out the testes??). They were still woozy, but they happily climbed back into the cage, we got all the post-op stuff, and were on our way back.

I rode in the back that time, carefully watching the boys to make sure they were okay. They were! And the expression on their faces when they sat down for the first time was priceless - it wasn't pain or anything.

They just wondered "Wasn't it more cushy when I sat down before??" And that was the full extent of their problems - noticing they had a bit less cush in the back!

Back