Neuter abcess vs Spaying...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratlets

Has anyone experienced complications with spaying after the fact? I understand that it is a more invasive procedure, but I'm curious if anything should be looked out for afterwards like abscesses when you neuter a male.

I've had 5 boys, and 3 of them developed an abscess soon after neuter. Is that common or poor surgery?

This could have something to do with the surgical thread that was used to suture their wounds. I hope Shelagh comes along to comment on this. I think she was seeing a lot of abscesses following neuters until her vet changed her suture material - it had something to do with the rats reacting to the suture material. I think that was it, anyway ...

We've had several boys neutered and not once did we have to deal with a neuter abscess. Same with our spays, we've had I'm sure a hundred girls done by now and never had any complications.

I bet it is the suture material. Devil specifically rejected his internal sutures.

Good to know :) Thinking about getting my two girly girls spayed here soon if they're old enough (the vet is comfortable at 3 months of age, not sooner).

We very rarely have complications, but neuter complications (typically abcesses) are much more common than any sort of spay complications here.

Back