Neuro boy at PetSmart...SAFE & HOME

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHermit

I got a message over Facebook from a former coworker at PetSmart about a male rat with "that neurological thing that makes it so his head is tilted and can only walk in circles or roll around". She's asking if I can take him but I can't take him to the vet - I only recently got some room to get Alduin and Klaus there and can't take on this poor baby on.

He's stuck at petsmart in a roughly 12" x 6" bin on a rack in.the sick room. I am going to message back to ask if hes seen a vet but knowing that store, he hasn't. I'll also get the approximate age.

I can adopt him from PetSmart and get a bus to start a train or to get him to anyone who can take him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor boy has inner ear infection and if all he's doing is circling he needs help FAST!

Let me know if I can help.

What kind of help? Like is all he needs is some antibiotics? I haven't heard back from the employee yet about if he's seen someone.
Does he need someone immediately, like tomorrow? I'm in Kawartha until Friday night. I can get the hubby to pick him up if needed, but we don't currently have the funds for a vet (though I can try to put something together if I have to, its just tight).

Last edited:
What kind of help? Like is all he needs is some antibiotics? I haven't heard back from the employee yet about if he's seen someone.
Does he need someone immediately, like tomorrow? I'm in Kawartha until Friday night. I can get the hubby to pick him up if needed, but we don't currently have the funds for a vet (though I can try to put something together if I have to, its just tight).

If he's circling and/or rolling he's going to need steroids (like dex injectable) to reduce the inflammation as well as a combo of antibiotics. It all depends on how long he's been sick, what his symptoms are, because a bad inner ear infection can spread to the brain and you usually cannot save those :(

Let me know if you need me to take him in. Maladie lives near Barrie and might be willing to transport him.

If he's circling and/or rolling he's going to need steroids (like dex injectable) to reduce the inflammation as well as a combo of antibiotics. It all depends on how long he's been sick, what his symptoms are, because a bad inner ear infection can spread to the brain and you usually cannot save those :(

Let me know if you need me to take him in. Maladie lives near Barrie and might be willing to transport him.
You're too amazing. I'd like to be able to help him but I'm at my limit these days, emotionally and financially. I don't have any experience with this sort of infection, either.

Let me know if you're sure and when/if Maladie can pick him up. I'll let Jen from petsmart know - adoptions are free but they're generally more careful about them than sales.

Can you still find out some of the details?

Age?
How long he's been there/sick?
Which store he's at? An address if you can?
I asked Jen for that information and she hasn't gotten.back to me yet. Recalling their rate of sales and that they get rats shipped at 5-6 weeks of age, it is very unlikely that hes older than three months. It's at Mapleview and Barrie View Dr., just off of the 400.

Kailan picked up the little guy yesterday and I will be getting him today.

He's very tilted and the first video that is on my cell, showed him circling and running backwards as he did, a sign of severe inner ear infection, but his eyes seemed bright and he was curious about his new home so he looks like a real fighter.

Kailan has been calling him Spencer but its not working for me...I tried Kailan, I really did!

I found this name, and I will ask him if he likes it.

Jax - English, means "God has been gracious; has shown favor." He is a lucky lucky boy Kailin's friend messaged her, Kailin was able to pick him up, and that he now has a chance at a lovely long albeit very tilted life.

For the non-religious like me, you can replace God with Rat Gods :toothy1:

There are 3 videos she uploaded, the first one is at Petsmart

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXWDl2byCDI[/ame]

In his new temp home, just arrived :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpJczqbVDvc[/ame]

and the last one is longer, but mostly because he just sat under his house (the roof gives him stability with the dizziness of the inner ear infection, gives them a sense of up and down)...and he just happily groomed and groomed.

At the end you will see how bad his tilt is, a full 90 degrees at times. You will also see how when he comes out to check out Kailan's hand that when he comes out from under the roof of the house he starts to wobble then retreats to "safety", poor poor dizzy lad.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhgzXCnqVik[/ame]

So glad he is now safe! You guys did and will continue to do such a great job. Jax is an awesome name and totally suits him/his situation.

I feel so bad for him with his tilt but I know if it's at all possible you are going to make this better for him. So the poor guy is actually pretty lucky. I'll be thinking of you guys.

He's napping after a scary cab ride (scary because he had to figure out how to balance with the movement, the drive was very cautious when I explained the situation). He's had some warm baby cereal and is not tucked away in the quiet crew room. He's a sweety!
I had Spencer stuck in my head but Jax is just perfect. As soon as I read that it totally pushed 'Spencer' out of my head!

Back