Need To Rehome Some Girls in Montreal

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey_Whiskers

I was hoping I wouldn't have to ever make a post here...but here goes.

I had everything lined up two weeks ago to get the add-on for my single CN and then in about 48 hours found myself some $2000 in debt at the vet after Jacko my timneh grey parrot had to be rushed in, hospitalized and ultimately need the birdie equivalent of a c-section to remove an egg that had severely adhered itself to her uterus. Then came her aftercare and hormonal control and all that.

There's just no way for me to get the add-on for my girls, and at 8 girls in a single they are way overcrowded.
I don't want anyone getting sick or injured or stressed out and despite coming off a round of doxy and baytril some are still sneezy (no porphyrin or wheezing) so I know the conditions aren't doing good for them.

I've tried and thought and recalculated my budget a million ways...but it's just not happening (add to that I'm on disability and the vet is technically letting me run a tab because I'm a good client). I've tried all the rat people I know personally and no one is looking or has any room.

So here I am. I am hoping someone can take in a few of my girls to get everyone in comfortable living situations again.
Everyone is in the range of 3-6 months of age, all litter trained and eating regal rat. All unspayed though.
Some are more shy and skittish than others, but no one is terrified or a biter. There are two double rex girls who are practically nakie but so far seem in good health.

Have you tried looking for a used single CN to connect to your own side by side? I saw one on sale for $90 in Trois Rivieres this week and I know there was one in CDN for $115 a little while ago I can ask about.

If any of these rats are from a rescue, you should contact them about rehoming them. Most rescues will take them back if you can't keep them or they will want to screen any potential adopters you find.

Is there any,possibility they could be delivered to toronto? Your girls look like such sweethearts, I usually take in rescues and rehome but i would definitely adopt some if it was possible.

Victoria--- I don't drive so unless they can deliver I'd be out of luck. Not to mention I'm pretty much broke till I get paid again on the 1st of november (yay disability) and room-wise I can only go up, not side by side as it were.
I'm open to suggestions though, I did go looking but couldn't find anything I could get to.
None of these girls were rescues---most are feeder bin girls or were dumped.

Minnieflower---oh I wish! But I don't drive and don't know how I could get them out there.

Victoria--- I don't drive so unless they can deliver I'd be out of luck. Not to mention I'm pretty much broke till I get paid again on the 1st of november (yay disability) and room-wise I can only go up, not side by side as it were.
I'm open to suggestions though, I did go looking but couldn't find anything I could get to.
None of these girls were rescues---most are feeder bin girls or were dumped.

Minnieflower---oh I wish! But I don't drive and don't know how I could get them out there.

Where do you live? If you can find a way to put two cages side by side, I can help with transport if you pay the gas. (It wouldn't be too much for the cage in CDN, not sure about the one in Trois Rivieres though.)

PM me if you want to discuss transport further.

I really appreciate the help but i just don't have the space here to do side by side. Add to that like I said, money. If the girls can make it another three weeks in the single I would have a bit of wiggle room..but obviously that's not a good idea.

There really aren't a lot of suitable cages on Kijiji here, let alone ones reasonably priced, so that's probably a waste of time.

If it's only for a few weeks, 8 females will be fine in a single CN. This is my set up for my fosters (2 moms + 2 litters), it's overcrowded (by a lot) but I made good use of the space and they're quite happy. https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd...._=1425351633_9116e51e4b20d2e8c6956ce3238c7595 Lots of out time, lots of enrichment in the cage should get you through until you are able to upgrade their home. (BTW, it may be cheaper to buy a DCN and sell the single.)

8 smaller females in a single CN with lots of hammock levels, etc and plenty of Out time is just fine, especially if its just temporary. I wouldn't stress over it...do they look like they are stressing? No. I had 7 big boys in a single (now 6 because of a loss) but they are happy and content and all get along...its not ideal in a pet home but its not terrible either as long as everyone is happy and gets along :D

Everyone gets along really well actually and loves each other. They've got a number of igloos and hammocks (and their big silent spinner)...so maybe thankfully I don't have to rehome anyone. It will take a few weeks, but I should be able to get the add-on.
I just didn't think it'd be ok to make them wait and I didn't want anyone getting hurt or suffering or getting sick was all.

Thanks everyone :)

I put two shelves in each section of my DCN. It seems to make it bigger by breaking up the space and giving more space to walk around in.
If it's a temporary situation, they should be fine. Unfortunately there are rats kept on way less space than that.
Good luck! And I hope your birdie made it through her ordeal OK.

Back