need some help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brook

Hi guys, my name os Brook and i just got my rat like 8hours ago. I have done researches on hamsters but little info on mouse and rats. Some girl on youtube said I could start the taming process in a few hours and I was confused but hand fed my boy, Musty, some meal worms. It was fine those times but when I go back from work I tried to change his food bowl but he bit me, not that hard though.
This is my first question, how long do I need to wait or what are signs that my boy is ready to be tamed?
Another thing I notice was the frequency of his sneezing. At first I had care free's nature bedding and he was sneezing so much so I changed it to fleece.
My second question is about how long will new house sneezing end?
Third question is what can i do to stop my boy from digging my fleece? He might want to dig but he seems to be allergic to paper beddings.

Some don't like you to put your hands in their cages. or do certain things in there - my boy is fine with my hands in the cage but has bit me when I'm cleaning with a piece of toilet paper in there, for instance.
Not uncommon for them to sneeze some the first few days, as long as they aren't making bad noises. Just keep an eye on it. Do you have echinacea you can give him?
Can you clip the bottom layer of fleece to keep it in place and give him a pile of loose fleece in a corner or a box or basket that he can burrow into?

Last edited:
Some don't like you to put your hands in their cages. or do certain things in there - my boy is fine with my hands in the cage but has bit me when I'm cleaning with a piece of toilet paper in there, for instance.
Not uncommon for them to sneeze some the first few days, as long as they aren't making bad noises. Just keep an eye on it. Do you have echinacea you can give him?
Can you clip the bottom layer of fleece to keep it in place and give him a pile of loose fleece in a corner or a box or basket that he can burrow into?
He was the only one thatvplayed with me when i got him and i dont know why he is lile that but im just gping to leave hom alone for a few days. I put piles for paper towel strips in there maybe he would like it

Does your rat have a buddy? They need to be kept in pairs or more. It's very important for them. I'd go find one from the group you got him from, and bring him home. He's missing his buddies. That will help him to be confident and happy. It will make the taming process easier as well. Congrats on your new rattie, and welcome to the forum! Also check out our reference thread. There's lots of good info on housing, food, etc.

Does your rat have a buddy? They need to be kept in pairs or more. It's very important for them. I'd go find one from the group you got him from, and bring him home. He's missing his buddies. That will help him to be confident and happy. It will make the taming process easier as well. Congrats on your new rattie, and welcome to the forum! Also check out our reference thread. There's lots of good info on housing, food, etc.
I got him a buddy today like a ten mine ago and they wrestle a bit and is now sharing food and the house. I originally was planning on a dwarf hamster so the bin cage(yes it's a bin cage but I have made good ventilation on the sides and glued a wire mesh outside) so it's a bit small for them but tomorrow I'm getting a 72gallon bin for them and making two layers. Do i need to get separate bowls and water bottles for the new one?

This is a Rat Rescue forum.
Feeding animals to other animals is not encouraged and discussion about this is against our rules.
Btw, Rats need low protein and do best if fed plant protein as research has found that animal protein cause health issues as well as cancer

A bin cage will not be good in the long run ….. and will need bars on at least 2 sides and the top

Two rats need a cage with a base at least 30 inches by 18 inches and height with large levels.
I would suggest you buy either a martins R695, powder coated (paint is baked on to prevent rust) with flip top lid, and assembled using 200+ zip ties as the c-rings rust (martinscages.com - this company also makes a great large playpen with lid for rats)
OR a critter nation cage https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Crit...s=single+critter+nation&qid=1581462586&sr=8-2

Since you are new to rats, I would suggest that you read https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/thinking-of-getting-a-rat-things-to-consider.32306/ as well as the Reference Thread https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/ and then other sections of this forum

good luck

Back